Project Jennifer

Noise
This post is 2977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

yer I hope so too, there is no play in the bearings tho but could be a hidden secret when I take them out

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the mains are ok (which it looks like they are) it's likely that the big ends will be ok to, after all they are covered in oil internally it's just the crusty crap on top you want to get rid of.

Do you think a light grit blast would be too much or should i just use a wire brush?

Going to finish the carbs off tonight and i can then put them to one side then i can get cracking on the next part i can sort out with items left over from the other bikes i done up as money is very tight this month :(

How the hell did they get so manky inside the engine, ? :eusa_doh:

• Like 1

usual for con rods is to shot peen them as it strengthens the surface

As above shot peen is the way to go, seals the surface after the rust bug has had a chew at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all sorry for the lack of up dates but just been busy with cleaning her up and other house related DIY.

Here are some pictures for you to browse and hopefully see the difference.

DSC_0022_zps1xbenmci.jpg

DSC_0067_zps7udweie8.jpg

DSC_0069_zps4m9ukq88.jpg

DSC_0065_zpsy5qgxrk0.jpg

All clean inside DSC_0071_zpsdkdygu7m.jpg

DSC_0072_zpseamxtoqf.jpg

Barrels bead blasted and painted DSC_0037_zpss1awzs6j.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsbog79cmm.jpg

Just in the process of re lapping the valves and going to make a start on cleaning up the con rods and crank.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A little update on the head ache rebuild, i have finally lapped the valves and completely stripped every last part out of the the crank cases, given them both a good degrease and started stripping the old paint off ready for a fresh coat of VHT which i will hopefully get done this weekend but its just a case of getting every last bit of nitromorse  out of every nook and cranny before i start. Once they are nicely painted it will then just be a case of getting the gasket set and some assembly lube and start the built :D

My biggest head ache at the moment is trying to prove the age of the bike so i can get an age related plate upon registration but every hurdle i jump seams to fail and looks more and more likely to end up being Q plated :( i even tried looking for a UK registered frame and V5 and just use that but every frame thats on Ebay in the UK have all been imported from the states and cant be registered till they are built and MOT'd.

Will up date with some more pics when i steal the wife's iPad thingy

Looking good so far. Are you sticking with the foot gear or putting a suicide shift on it? As would look awesome with a custom shifter 

Been really toying with the suicide shifter or ever a jockey shift but the wife keeps hinting that she wants to go out on this one and not sure how slow ridding will be with that set up. 

slow riding should be ok for a suicide shift, not like you can boot it through the lower gears with it. Just depends if she has the bottle to be reaching over with her throttle hand, and has the balance to keep it up while doing it. 

Ha Ha sorry i should have worded it better, the wife don't ride but want's to go pillion so with the extra weight on the back may effect my control with a foot clutch. If not i'll just do what i did to my last bike and just make it a solo seat only, but the Amen savior king queen seat just looks too cool to bin.

Well we are making good progress on the motor now i am pleased to say, she's all painted up in gloss black with nice polished fins on the top end which helps brake up the black. Wife is buying me the gasket set for our anniversary at the end of the month (hopefully) and it will then be a case of cleaning and lubing up the parts as they go back in.

Should be right on track to have her bench tested by Christmas with a bit of luck ;)

Hey folk, thought I'd better pull my finger out and finally prove what I have been doing over the past few weeks, sadly as always money is slowing things down a bit but I should still be on track to getting the motor finished by Christmas. 

Here's the crank cases all cleaned and painted 

And a quick sneaky peak at what the final assembly will be like, rocker cover and other covers will be knickle plated 

• Like 1

Thanks bud, no sadly no trick internals due to money and the price list of parts for the exterior is already up in the £1000s and thats not including the powder coating and paint.

only "trick" parts left to do to the engine is im either copper plating the covers or having them hydro dipped but still waiting on price quotes on both.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everybody!

Twas our 3 year wedding anniversary yesterday and as Laura is a fab lass she bought me the gasket set as my present so i can now get cracking putting the motor back together :D

Just cleaning up the con rods at the moment and then the little bits of the gears that have rust on, then i will start plonking it all back in.

• Like 4

You DON'T mean PLONKING it back in really do you, you mean hitting it with your biggest hammer till the f**ker fits!!! :lol:

• Like 2

After Wednesday night buddy that would have been the case! was in A&E from 2030hrs till 0245hrs with a piece of wire brush lodged in my eye ball which managed to get past my goggles, and i can tell you that even though they numbed it with drops, clamped my eye open with some sort of medieval under eye lid device then come at you with tweezers there is no way that you NOT going to blink even with them telling you not too <_<

still.............................oil pump and sump is on at least ha-ha