Cyclists

iandouglas
This post is 3285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bit of a ramble here but as a biker how do you view cyclists? There sure are a lot about now

A number of you will be cyclists too, as I am - serious cycling seems to have become popular

For me open roads are far too dangerous for bicycles but these cycling enthusiasts brave them

As a motorcyclist the worst situation is turning a corner to find an oncoming car who is overtaking a cyclist

Some car drivers just swoop past cyclists, as in the circumstances above, and others hang back for ages

Most cyclists realise that two abreast irritates motorists and they usually go single file eventually

I think motorbikes are safer than bicycles but I do not know if statistics

Actually it is the impatient BMW/Audi fast boys that I find more of a worry these days

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I cycled as my only means of transport for 5 years. this was the same route Captf does now.

the biggest issue were cars speeding past me an inch from my handle bars, a few have had their cars whacked (if they got that close for me to reach they are too close at those speeds)

never had an accident though and am quite road savvy.

Much like any other road users - I treat them with the respect they may deserve.

And that respect can easily be lost.

If a cyclists follows the rules of the road that apply to them, then all is good. Stop at red lights, make it obvious when they plan to make turns across my path, and so on.

If they don't? I hate them... hates them forever! Thief! Baggins... um. ahem.

But I'll always give a wide bearth when passing, because it's safer for all.

• Like 1

I have a story, and the video to go with it from my helmet camera I might upload,

I was on my way home from a trip to the Horse Shoe Pass, and obviously, all the licra clad bell ends decide to come on the roads and get in everyones way as much as possible. I'm on my way down the hill and come up to some cyclists, but since it was a fairly steep hill they where managing a speed of about 40, fair enogh, get to the bottom of the hill and slow down to about 20, bit slow but they are human powered so I'm not to annoyed, although a little ticked off because I lost all momentum (something you need to keep up when you only have 11bhp).

Theres a cross road, a red light stopping me and the cyclists in front, BUT, do these licra clad cocks stop for it like they are supposed to? NOPE! They just careen straight into the center of the junction, without even looking left or right, then sat in the center of it for about 1 or 2 seconds just deciding what to do, blocking everyone and causing a lot of danger for themselfes and other road users, before wobbling off to the left.

Come the hell on, just because you don't have a licnece plate does it mean you can ignore red lights, fly into the center of a junction without looking, and then stop there.

Ether I'm being to harsh to these middle age cocks treying to regain a hint of youth by dressing in licra and making other road users angry, OR, they are just idiots where I live.

Depending on the junction, that could actually be the course of action for cyclists - depending how far they go.

If there's an Advanced Stop Line, then it's expected that cyclists will go in front of the traffic [sort of blocking it] for when the lights change.

If there's not, then you'll often get cyclists treating the junction as if there is...

If traffic [in the direction they're travelling] has stopped, then it can be safer for them to get in front, and seize control of the lane until they move off.

Unfortunately, it also pisses off other road users. [it's like their version of us filtering]

I think they get all wrapped up in their own world - they make me feel guilty because I am not as fit as they are

It is an odd thing, bikers can look good on their bikes but cyclists rarely do yet they are the more physically fit,

They can be inconsiderate, particularly in groups but then we bikers probably annoy car drivers when Filtering

I am not especially anti cyclist

and another hate the cyclist thread is born

lycra clad this and lycra clad that shit

Then maybe they shouldnt cycle like jeb ends -_-

When they start using the road properly, then I'll stop getting angry at them, speed isn't too much of a problem, it's the simple fact that 90% of them cycle like rules don't apply to them.

without any shadow of doubt whatsoever, car drivers are the most inconsiderate of all road users, I see this on a daily basis, they are only interested in their own progress and would see a complete lane of traffic at a standstill rather than adjust their own speed for a very brief moment to signal to another driver it is OK to go..utter selfish morons and these days they are worse than ever. But hey I'm getting carried away aren't I, lets get back to slagging off cyclists!

• Like 2

Then maybe they shouldnt cycle like jeb ends -_-

When they start using the road properly, then I'll stop getting angry at them, speed isn't too much of a problem, it's the simple fact that 90% of them cycle like rules don't apply to them.

Its not a simple FACT that 90% cycle badly at all. who are you to portray this bollocks as being fact ?

I cycle, drive, and ride the motorcycles. I also walk (cant run anymore, doctors orders) and use public transport

If I could, Id ride one of my daughters horses too

The roads are there to be used by all. There are bad cyclists/riders/drivers, and stupid pedestrians on the pavements, itll never get better, weve all got to make allowances. Anticipation pays dividends

• Like 2

Airhead - that was my original point, motorists overtaking cyclists is what has caused me a few scary moments. A bicycle is not that wide so some car drivers just pull out without really considering the prospect of an oncoming motorbike, either on a bend or generally so you end up either having to slow or move over, maybe both.

We have lots up here in summer, they group up at the local motorcycle shop on sundays like us before a run, we meet them at some of the caffe"s , they"re like us, But theres a lot more room on the roads up here, so not many hotheads in cars or bikes,

The mountain roads the cyclists ride up here are unbelievable , respect is due,,

Met germans last year they fly over and ride the west coast , they say its great as its virtualy traffic free, with great scenery,

• Like 1

Yes there are some bad cyclists on the road but there are also bad cage drivers and bad motorcyclists out there to, we all have the same right to be on the road, I just treat them the same as evey other road user out there, a potential hazard.

• Like 4

I don't think you can single out any particular group of road users. There are bad examples everywhere. Isn't that what the hazard perception part of a theory test is about?

From experience, there are too many people who are selfish and ignorant to others... car drivers around schools (mums and teachers)..... teenagers on peds... and foreign students on bicycles in Cambridge. Personally I take an instant dislike to any vehicle which puts my vehicle in danger. I say vehicle because it is not personal - they don't know me and I don't know what has caused their lack of concentration.

• Like 1

And let's not forget for every bike out there, that's one less cage to worry about!

• Like 1

My two penneth worth, I have no particular gripe with any sane road user, I just hope nutters get dealt with one way or another, I find it slightly puzzling that if vehicles, including small engine, bikes cyclists, tractors, horses, pedestrians, etc, cannot use the safest straightest roads because its unsafe to mix with 70 mph traffic, (this rule I find pretty sensible), how can a 60 mph up hill down dale twisty road suddenly become safe for them to use, does the 10 mph difference suddenly make these roads safe?

• Like 2

lycra clad this and lycra clad that shit

I personally find most cyclists riding single file and are behind me within seconds, so not a worry at all.

In town, it's often very different as they're like Ped Boys without engines. Saw several groups just today, all riding three abreast, with one even placing the little kiddie on the OUTSIDE neares the white line!!

Generally, those who do have on all the lycra and shit, ie the 'professional cyclists' do tend to be the 10% that behave like pricks. It's the rest that seem to actually ride sensibly, which is just bizarre.

I guess it's kinda like the Summer Bikers?

• Like 1