Bike prices and the Summer

slice
This post is 3297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just been looking on EBAY (yes I know I shouldn't) and it surprises me how the price of bikes fluctuates re: the time of year, just seen what I can only describe as a bag of bolts held together by cobwebs and snot and the asking price was well over a grand, now not more than 4 or 5 weeks ago the same type of thing was only about £300, has it always been like this? I mean I don't buy many bikes but does it always jump up at this time of year? I seem to remember when bikes were a cheap means of transport and only for the broke or insane back in the day now it seems that these pocket rockets are going up and down in price almost on a weekly basis, am I missing something? You have to understand that when I look at a bike and they say it is a 1985 model to me that's new, my first bike was a 1960's Fanny "B" when I was 14. I was just wondering if you all knew about this and why you hadn't told me! Or am I just to old :shakeno: . (Yes Tommy you can say it!) :biglaugha:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep, always been this way.

Summer is when the weather turns nice and all the BMW drivers, sick of being stuck in traffic, see us filtering along and decide they want a piece of that. Couple of weeks later, they take their nice shiny DASed licence down to the dealership and ride away on a Daytona (always the yellow one) or a Fireblade.

For the rest of the rabble, who cannot afford shiny new bikes, second-hand is the way to go. Most know fuck-all about bikes and so long as it's a big, pretty, shiny V-Twin flower upon which these Butterfly riders may alight, they will pay their monies for it.

Often, the hilarious ones will be 1800s buying 1800 bikes off last season's 1800s.

The 1800 - Cruiser term for both the type of rider and the bike they ride. That is to say; an 1800cc bike bought new for £18,000, before the rider spends £1800 on branded (usually tassled) clothing, another £1800 on a big name helmet, plus £1800 on tassled & chromed accessories, rides the bike for 1800 miles, then gives it up and sells it... and because, having been incorrectly by a clueless noob over Winter, it's now only worth £1800!!

I reckon if I painted a few Sons Of Anarchy logos on the Dragstar, I'd sell it for a mint!!

• Like 1

Nope Slice, you're not old...... or maybe you are ..... I dunno :-)

Same thing happens in 4x4 world. Winters' coming and prices go up. Hell, they even rise when they forecast a severe winter. The prices go up after the program on telly has finished.

Same applies about the bag of bolts though. Fark there are some sheds on 't bay when that happens.

Just been looking on EBAY (yes I know I shouldn't) and it surprises me how the price of bikes fluctuates re: the time of year, just seen what I can only describe as a bag of bolts held together by cobwebs and snot and the asking price was well over a grand, now not more than 4 or 5 weeks ago the same type of thing was only about £300, has it always been like this? I mean I don't buy many bikes but does it always jump up at this time of year? I seem to remember when bikes were a cheap means of transport and only for the broke or insane back in the day now it seems that these pocket rockets are going up and down in price almost on a weekly basis, am I missing something? You have to understand that when I look at a bike and they say it is a 1985 model to me that's new, my first bike was a 1960's Fanny "B" when I was 14. I was just wondering if you all knew about this and why you hadn't told me! Or am I just to old :shakeno: . (Yes Tommy you can say it!) :biglaugha:

yes Slice you are missing something! but the good news is you can get a replacement on ebay but its gonna cost you twice as much as it would of in January :razz:

• Like 1

No slice of course your not old, you can't be as your younger than me (just) but I bought my current bike in Dec cos I knew that the market was slow at that time of year and dealers have to reduce prices to shift bikes, it's much harder to get a discount off of a dealer in the summer when the bikes fly off the shelves.