petition to make road licence fairer for bikes

drewpy
This post is 3299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep done that but I am guessing it's not gonna make any difference

Signed it Drewpy but not sure what will come of it, live in hope I suppose!

Wasn't a fairer bike tax mentioned in the recent white paper regarding transport strategy? I can't see it happening to be honest. I am looking to change my car at the moment and I could go for a Mitsubishi Outlander electric/petrol 4X4 with no road tax. The car only does 30 miles on electric between charges so it would be guzzling petrol most of the time pulling around the ton and a half weight (the car not big Kev as a passenger).

• Like 1

Part of this seems to have a misconception of what the vehicle tax is...

Emissions are pretty much what they're for now. It's not been a "road tax" since the 30s

I'm not sure how it's felt we're being cost unfairly - the highest we'll pay is £78 per year [currently], which is lower than most cars...

I was actually shocked that my XJ6 was under £60. Even my 1.4 Rover was over £100.

And, bikes can end up having really bad emissions [its just we have less of them, compared to cars, and we don't sit around in traffic jams]

Based on the comments, people also need to learn that road tax is also levied through income tax, and given to the local councils, and not through VED

I'd rather they spent their time on an automatic instant 3 month ban for mobile phone use with a 12 month ban after the first offence. A pound or so a week is not going to hurt too much; being hit by a driver on Facebook is! It seems to be getting worse. I don't go a day now without seeing people using a hand held phone, texting or using social media while driving.

• Like 3

Yeah, definitely - I've seen on the phone, playing with the satnav, rolling cigarettes [or other...], doing make up, and so on.

People forget they're meant to be in control of these rolling lumps of metal.

Hell, you can actually get done for eating and drinking in a car, if you're found to not be in full control because of it!