2010 wr450f engine longevity

Shayneo
This post is 3299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and just need a bit of info if anyone can help. I am looking to swap my 09 yz250 in good condition for a 2010 wr450f my question is the Wr450f has 8000 kms on it and has had a top end rebuild at 6000 kms, is that high kilometres for a 2010 and how long do these engines and gearboxes last. thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

they can last for thousands of miles or shit themselves for no reason. they are after all a race engine and should be treated to regular filter and oil changes and never revved hard until they are warmed up and ready to go.

iv used engines that have raced for two years without problem and others that have needed rebuilt twice in a season.

Ah ok thanks, so do you think 4,970 miles is a lot for a 2010 model, the top end being rebuilt at 3,728 miles. He said it isn't very high and it's roughly 1,242 miles a year. I thought it was a bit high, what kind of mileage do people get out of the top and bottom end? I don't want to trade if it's not worth it because my 09 yz250 is a very low hour bike

That's low miles. top end rebuilt ? ask whats been done, should be shims on valve clearance that's all, if hes put in new valves its either been lean [ burnt valve] or bent valve thru timing chain issues, Bottom ends are good for 20,000 plus miles ,unless oil changes been missed,

Your YZ 250 be a 2 stroke yeh ? cheaper rebuild when needed,,, :yeah:

as above. its low miles but id be wanting proof of whats been done on a top end rebuild? these engines need good oil changed a lot. if anything will give problems its the bottom ends. mains or big ends but again if its been treated to oil and not tuned in anyway they are strong... what sorta miles? road miles? green lanning? or full enduros?. if i had the choice ,even tho the wr is a great bike id be keeping the stroker. a whole season outa a piston kit and two hours rebuilds ready to go..

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online