Hung up my leathers

oldtimer
This post is 2792 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Very sad to hear. If I can offer anything here..friend of mine died of asbestoses (cancer in lungs) a year ago. He spent 58000pounds on treatment which just ended up making him sicker. I know if he could do it again that money would have gone to a world cruise or something where he could enjoy his last bit of time. (my point..don`t give it all to the hospitals and doctors..go enjoy it).

• Like 1

Very sad to hear. If I can offer anything here..friend of mine died of asbestoses (cancer in lungs) a year ago. He spent 58000pounds on treatment which just ended up making him sicker. I know if he could do it again that money would have gone to a world cruise or something where he could enjoy his last bit of time. (my point..don`t give it all to the hospitals and doctors..go enjoy it).

Sorry to hear that Mac, that is what I have the oncologist said it can lay dormant from 10 to 50 years that the outcome is the same with or without treatment, so I won't be spending any money on treatment.

I have racked my brains where I could have come in to contact with asbestos and found out in the 60s a lot of the army buildings were made of asbestos due to their Fire retardant quality even thought it was known to cause cancer from as early as the 30s.

Typical of the British goverment if it had been a private employer I would have been entitled to compensation the American veterans can claim but as it likely happened before 1987 and only after that could you sue the queen before a royal warrant in 1987 made it possible.

Did your friend last long after diagnosis that it was asbestosis just curious as I have a few adventures planned a last hurrah.thanks for your comments.

So, so, sorry to hear this Paul. From a matelot to a pongo.

romeo echo mike echo mike bravo echo romeo tango hotel echo golf oscar oscar delta tango's.

• Like 2

So, so, sorry to hear this Paul. From a matelot to a pongo.

romeo echo mike echo mike bravo echo romeo tango hotel echo golf oscar oscar delta tango's.

Thanks Mike it seems along lifetime ago that I was medi vac in to HMS yeovilton when you were an airy fairy before you became a submariner lay in a hospital bed surrounded by mate lots.

For those who don't know what Mike was saying it was to remember the good times.

Will do Mike

• Like 1

Paul, I know a guy, diagnosed asbestoses last year, hes still kicking around, He just took British Rail to court, [ employed there]

Out of court settlement last week , 6 figures, ,result,,,

His mates are baffled tho. they can"t understand where he caught it, as he slept in the buckee all night,,,[ night shift 30 Years]

the lazy bastards they all were,, we nicknamed them The Railway Children ,

My auld man was a joiner in the shipyards in the 60s and was diagnosed with asbestosis/pleural plaques in the early 90s. He passed away 2013 aged 83 with an unrelated illness, so chin up mate

Lasted about 4 months after diagnosis..a really miserable 4 months filled with chemo and radium treatments after which he died anyway. They also tried cutting away the protective skin layer around the lungs as it was the most cancerous area, which didn`t work. He was 67. Picked it up from working on earthmoving equipment brakes and on marine engines, all which were full of asbestos (ships exhausts)in earlier times. Recently all the older mechanics from work had to go for testing as it becomes workmans compensation claims. His wife still waiting for her payout for last 2 years almost (actually doubt if she will get it).

• Like 1

Well your all full of cheer and good news ani't you! Take no notice of what happens to others, it's what happens to you, inside your own head is the place you get better from first, tell the cancer to "fuck off" then do what you want and then make like it's not happening. not easy and your afraid, well don't be, find something your interested in and keep busy, sitting around waiting for the men in black to turn up won't make you a happy person to live with. DO SOMETHING that you have always wanted to do but couldn't find time for and do it NOW! :jossun:

• Like 6

DO SOMETHING that you have always wanted to do but couldn't find time for and do it NOW! :jossun:

Once again I find that slice is making a lot a sense, FFS should I be getting worried? :eusa_shifty:

After a tragic event in my life I tell everyone and I mean everyone "if there is something you really want to do FFS DO IT NOW" it doesn't matter how big or small just fucking do it.

• Like 1

Don't worry mate I will soon be back to talking drivel! :shakeno:

• Like 1

Once again I find that slice is making a lot a sense, FFS should I be getting worried? :eusa_shifty:

After a tragic event in my life I tell everyone and I mean everyone "if there is something you really want to do FFS DO IT NOW" it doesn't matter how big or small just fucking do it.

Well I would normally agree with slice but as only myself knows how sick I feel I had a flight booked on Thursday to go to Sweden but it was physically impossible as I spent 48hrs being sick all over the place and having lost 2 stone and even finding any exercise to much.

I am always positive despite everything ,death doesn't and never has frighten me i appreciate what everyone is saying but living in manchester which has the best cancer hospital in the country people come from all over the world to it, when they say there is nothing more they can do what then I am still positive and will remain so.

There are lots of things I would like to do still and am lucky to have the money to do it I hope to go away at Easter and enjoy another passion sailing on the elbe and out into the Baltic and as long as I can physically do it I will.

I hope my reply doesn't seem rude it's not meant to but as those on here who have known me a few years know I call a spade a spade

• Like 2

Not at all mate, you do what ever you think is best, have a fun time doing your own thing. (Quote) Fear is the mind killer, the little death, I will let it flow over and through me and when it is gone only I will remain. We thank you for sharing your time with us. Don't forget you owe us a pint? :jossun:

Ah shit, this isn't good news, who else will be left to roll their eyes and grumble at my terrible jokes? :(

Everyone? You're quite safe Foamy...

• Like 5

Foamy, where you bin mate? Playing in the sand?

Yeah, been out in cyprus with work since the new year. (and other places inbetween).

In all fairness, Ive spent most of it almost constantly pissed.

Back in blighty tomorrow, gotta change the rocker cover gasket on the FJ and take it for its MOT Thursday :/

Got mine in for MOT next week fancy meeting for a cuppa?

Well I would normally agree with slice

Now I'm getting really worried. :mellow: