replacing stock rear shocks

erbrod
This post is 3300 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've just purchased an affordable set of rear shocks that are about an inch longer than the stock for my 82 sr 250. The stock were thrashed and I found a new set on Ebay. They didnt come with instructions and I've never replaced shocks on any of my bkes. Is it possible to install these or will i have to make some modifications? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First off, sorry but I have to say this, what were you thinking? You can't just bung anything you like onto your bike, it can kill you if you get it wrong. You are going to have to go to your local bike shop and ask what they recommend you should fit, now it might be that you have no problem fitting the shocks you have but if you don't know YOU HAVE TO ASK before you fit them. It can alter the centre of gravity on your bike if you jack the rear end up and load the front wheel, this can lead to the front wheel becoming overloaded causing wear and a really slippy front to your bike. Glad you thought to ask about this as the next time we heard about you it could have been in the funeral section.

Were you sold the new shocks as specific for your model of bike, if so bearing in mind the others might be the original shocks and 33 years old they could have compressed the spring with age fatigue and wear or be adjusted to their softest setting or have you just compared them with the old shocks still on the bike, the weight of the bike would compress them an inch or so. Though i do agree with the last post, a bit of independent advice would not go a miss if they were not sold as model specific.

thanks for the advise fellas, yes i was told by the vendor that they would fit my bike, also was told that i could lower the swingarm. i cant actually lower the swingarm on this bike because it practically sits on the muffler placed on side of pipe. the difference is one inch and i have considered welding a peg beneath the lower peg to fit the shocks. there is enough space on the plate for that. it seems its either that or cutting the muffler off pipe then lowering swingarm. i understand the concern regarding the bike handling being affected by these longer shocks, i am concerned as well so for the time being i still use the old ones. i have bigger problems with bike performance. thanks again.

if it was mine i would just fit them. one inch will make no more difference than fitting a taller tyre. or like when a pillion gets of and you ride on your own. iv a firestorm thats an inch higher at the back to make it steer faster. im fitting a er6 shock into my divvie and it wont turn it into a wobbling crash fest lol... try them. if you dont like them take them of again.

thanks will fit them after i deal with carb trouble,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online