1983 Kawa Z1000 Z1-R MKII..Opinions on this bike?

mcferreira100
This post is 3323 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been looking for a large four stroker long time now with my eye more on Hondas..but now this has come up for around 450pounds. Would like something older with a kickstart but at this price I think this is a steal. Here we go again..everything ran fine then the bike was parked for 15yrs so a carb clean on the cards. But will internals (crank) be ok? Having a look tomorrow. Seller is a friend of a friend so think I can trust the history and the guys wife wants the bike gone. Opinions on this bike???

kawa%20z1r%20mkII_zpswhv8hljs.jpg

kawa%20z1r%20mkII%20%203_zpsv1mt2p2p.jpg

kawa%20z1r%20mkII%20%202_zpssqv8gsmn.jpg

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Far as I know,from others, these are great old busses, strong engine reasonable brakes just the look is a bit old fashioned which some folks like! Buy it Mc, make a change from all those old rattly Yamaha's :biglaugha:

• Like 1

I think somebody here had one, if i`m not wrong, drewpy?

I had one. It was chopped.

It's like riding a JCB.....................................but heavier!

I had a z1000 for about 9 month (my mates' but he was serving a ban, so I got it). Not the same model but I certainly enjoyed it

Here we are just arrived on Skye, before they put a bridge there

Skye83_zps74e3962b.jpg

• Like 3

.....Not the same model but I certainly enjoyed it....

Got to say I enjoyed mine too! A bit bendy at speed and it was heavy but I can't fault the engineering.

A bit bendy at speed and it was heavy but I can't fault the engineering.

That phrase described my xs1100 as well

BUY it. now. Z1Rs are getting very rare. you break that for more than your paying for it.. strange colour that one? they are normally light blue/silver but outa all the post 900 kawas these are prob the hardest to find. kawasaki America made them into the Z1R turbo that we also got a few of... if it was closer to me id rip his arms off. the engine is more or less bomb proof. they wernt the most popular model when they were produced but people have caught on to them for that very reason and prices are going up.

did i mention you should buy it ...

try and see if it says on the v5 if its listed as a Z1R.. i thought they had silver engines? , i know the H and the J had black engines .

i just had a rumage and yes some of them did have black engines so get her bought lol

Great find, I"v had 2 of em, cranks are bomb proof, The cam chains / rollers/ idlers tensioners , are the soft bit, If thers a rumble at bottom end ,it be the starter cluch - rotor , 3 screws just need locktight , simples ,,,

Grab it , :yeah: Mind you 2 the H2 triple was faster to 100mph .[ lighter] I had both,

Zed900finish004.jpg

Brechinchimney013.jpg

• Like 4

I started doing facebook a few months ago and I found a group 'Bikers 60s 70s photo collection. Some great pics on there. What strikes me is that all over Britain there were groups of mates cutting about, looking like me and my mates, going to the same types of pubs and the same runs out. If any of you do the fb thing look up the group for great memories or an insight into how us auld yins done it back in the day

omg that H2... before i die its the one thing on my bucket list i have to own.

have you bought that Z1r yet, have you

• Like 1

ok, I recognize now the bike, blackhat is that one I was speaking about, not drewpy :P

ha ha :)

Went to see it today..guy wants 570pounds now..non neg. its been de-registered (not scrapped) as he never rode it last few years, so bit of paperwork issue. He had the tank cleaned with something and says it swelled which is why its not sitting properly..so apparently needs to be cut open and made to fit again. Fuel gauge not working as sender unit gone awol out bottom of the tank. Paint not too bad..good polish will get it ok. I`m amazed to see this bike comes with a detachable kickstart lever which fits under the seat (that's why no kickstart visible in pics)..so could make sure it turns over ok. He is adamant after a carb clean she will start. Hmmmmm....what to do.

They"re simple mechanics, electrics too, , and yeh in the 70"s/80s nobody would trust electric start, :eusa_snooty: most Zeds and 750-4 Hondas had kickers,,