Fitting heated grips on my XJ6N

sergiogove
This post is 3336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

I'm new here and hoping to get some help.

I bought a set of Dr. Bike heated grips to install on my 2009 XJ6N. I'm fairly comfortable with fitting the grips but I'm struggling with the wiring. I don't want to connect the wires straight to the battery.

Someone suggested I connect the positive to the tail light live wire using a simple snap-lock connector (like this from maplins for example http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-snap-lock-connecter-blue-l30ay)and then the neutral straight to the battery. I'm very much an amateur but I think I should be able to do this fairly easily ... assuming I find the tail light wire!

Do people think this is a good idea or do you have any better ideas? I'm sure lots of people have done this on an XJ6 before?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did they not come with a fitting diagram?

i just fitted a set direct to the battery with an inline fuse and they are working fine

thanks for the replies guys. They did come with a fitting diagram, which suggested I fit them directly to the battery. I'm trying to install them in a way that won't drain my battery if I forget them on or (more importantly) some idiot on the street decides to turn them on "for fun" leaving me stranded. That's why I wanted to fit them to the ignition or lights so that when they bike is off there is no power going to them.

This is really a topic for the workshop.

Connecting to the rear light means that they can only be operated with the lights on. Not a big issue and something I would consider.

I would not use a snap clip but either use an existing bullet connector in that wire and use a double connector or cut the wire and solder the new cable to it. Snap connectors are bad!

Due to the power of heated grips I would run this through a relay so the heavy duty cables ran direct from the battery but the low power ran via the relay.

Fitted some Oxford ones to the FJ last year. Straight to battery 'plug 'n play' but the control box comes with a self shut down feature when engine not running/charging.

Your Dr. Bike one's don't have that ?

• Like 1