XTR/YBR125 Engine Swap?

jacklejack
This post is 2834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Gearheads,

First time yammy forum user here, came seeking some knowledge.

I purchased my first YBR125ED(12MY) about 8 months ago, Fuel injected version, i recently had a bump and its became cat C'd as some dozy sod drove infront of me and the bent the forks inward due to the impact.
I've acquired an XT125X '07 and the nice chap gave me a haynes manual for the YBR/XT models, so i've been having a look and I think I read that the YBR and XT run the same engine.

Currently the Engine in the XT is Carbed and i've been having some troubles as it's got a fair few miles on it.

What I'm asking is, would I be able to swap out the fuel injected engine from my YBR and pop it into the XT or would it have to be one of the older carbed YBR models to fit?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your help guys.

If not, can you recommend what I look into to get this XT125 to idle properly? It's having none of it unless I have the choke on but Ideally I'd like to get the FI setup

Edit: Just noticed I've stuck XTR in the subject :Z

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The injection engine would need the ECU & wiring , lot of chopping the loom, :eusa_think:

as said above. if the engine fits,as in mounting holes etc. you will need to bring the wiring loom, injection, ignition etc with the new engine and transplant the lot.

I recently attempted to put a ybr 125 08 fuel injected engine into my 06 xt125r bike.It didn't work.

you will be able to put the engine into the ybr as all the mounts are the same but there are a couple of differences. the wiring for the alternator have different connections and there are a couple of differences on the top end. The camshaft cover were different sizes..

I could not get the bike to turn over at all so i put the old engine back in again..

It may be been a problem with the carb..

I also noted that the clutch basket in the ybr is smaller than the xt..

I also do not think you will be able to put the xt engine in the ybr you will have to change your whole wiring loom. Ecu etc.

I would also recommend you get the carb cleaned before messing around with the settings. I think it was the plunger connected to the float bowl that was sticking a bit and not letting fuel through.

I recently attempted to put a ybr 125 08 fuel injected engine into my 06 xt125r bike.It didn't work.

you will be able to put the engine into the ybr as all the mounts are the same but there are a couple of differences. the wiring for the alternator have different connections and there are a couple of differences on the top end. The camshaft cover were different sizes..

I could not get the bike to turn over at all so i put the old engine back in again..

It may be been a problem with the carb..

I also noted that the clutch basket in the ybr is smaller than the xt..

I also do not think you will be able to put the xt engine in the ybr you will have to change your whole wiring loom. Ecu etc.

I would also recommend you get the carb cleaned before messing around with the settings. I think it was the plunger connected to the float bowl that was sticking a bit and not letting fuel through.

Amazing, I wasnt expecting such an indepth answer oobliksem.

I have a full ybr just sitting in my backgarden but the front forks have been completely wrecked.

I'm getting the carb sorted shortly but i have a feeling you're right, doing some research the mikuni carbs look to have a lot of problems.

cheers!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone actually managed to fit a recent engine in a pre- 2007 bike and use the original carb, etc on the newer motor plus any electrical components transferred over.

I just wondered, because at some point I am going to wear out the engine of my '05 YBR and it would be wonderful to extend the life of this machine by a transplant of an engine from a recent bike that was broken for spares.