been thinking of paint for my bike

Tommy xs
This post is 3154 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

been going to it for the last two summer's when the weather gets warm enough & just not got round to it but this year it got to happen.

been messing round on paint and have decided to go with this although I am attempting to do it myself so f#ck knows what it will turn out like xs400render2_zps2szmjj0i.jpg

was wondering if anyone else has any ideas although I am pretty set on this now

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I like it tommy, especially the shade of Blue

you can get good results if you take your time, just look at the KH125 I did with spray cans!

ca6ad6bf.jpg

• Like 2

Like it Tommy. Has a retro look to it, now get off of your fat arse and paint it !!!! :biglaugha:

looking at the tank, there is a relief V which you have drawn over.

Looks good in 2d but this will give shadows and maybe you need to address that first?

Like it Tommy. Has a retro look to it, now get off of your fat arse and paint it !!!! :biglaugha:

ha ha I can't paint it till the weather gets warm enough

looking at the tank, there is a relief V which you have drawn over.

Looks good in 2d but this will give shadows and maybe you need to address that first?

yes I agree it wont look exact the same and will change shape when looked at from different angles but I intend to do all in paint so will mask it and get rough idea of what I'll end up with.

I like the colours, looks good

Two minors though, not sure about the blocking on the tailpiece, maybe look better plain blue? And the YAMAHA decal is cutting into the blocking on then tank

yes I had removed the yam decal while doing the block then decided to put it back, I think I will position the blocking so it just runs under the decal, I did consider leaving the tail but thought it added a bit more balance overall. I do have a spare tailpiece so I could do one blue and block the other and see which looks best.

???

I was just saying, in your pic the blocks are different colours mate , not only that...they are slanting different ways ;)

ah Paul now I see what you mean I thought what you were saying is put black blocks on the tail, the're not black in the pic they are just darker as in the original pic the paint looked darker on the tail due to the lighting and I was trying obviously unsuccessfully to copy it. its a good point about the angles of block being different

I hadn't realized that and thinking about when I do the masking it will best done with the parts on the bike so can line them up also if I can get the angle the same as the tail on the tank it should miss the yam decal that NSD pointed out for now just altered the tail, I think your right paul

xs400rende3_zpsoei4bug0.jpg

• Like 1

use 2 pack clear on it, like I did on the Gilera, spilt loads of petrol on that and the petrol just ran off.

me too, it'll be something to be proud of...beware of paints that petrol dissolves though !

I have most of the paint its canbrush I've used it before with pretty good results and never had a problem with it regards to petrol its candy blue over silver And pearl white metallic, the main problem is having to wait for the good weather cos when it does come I want to be out riding the bike not painting it.

• Like 1

second that on the spray cans DSCF4074_zps884d15e5.jpg

original color - dings filled with 2k body filler

IMG_1372_zps7cbe3726.jpg

tank primed painted an cleared with $10 acrylic paints (cheapest you can get here) then wetsanded with p1200

IMG_1431_zpsf87343e3.jpg

after 10 mins of

drill mounted wool buff pad meguiars 105

fine foam pad meguiars 205

I would definitely use 2k clear for the tank, I used acrylic so if you dont wash it off straight away it marrs the paint and you hve to rebuff it. Beware with 2k the isocyanates can cause severe respiratory reactions in some people and cause permanent sensitisation which means any future small exposure can trigger acute respiratory distress syndrome (like anaphylaxis) spray it only with good ventilation and try not to kill the neighbours kids.

the only isocyanate safe mask is a Sundstrom with P3 particle filter and ABE or ABEK filters. I use one and recommend it.

A lot of people dont bother and are fine, then you google and read the stories of people sensitized to iso's.

good luck!

• Like 1