2 sparks then nothing

Scott8155
This post is 3344 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening guys. So my problem is that when I use the electric start on my bike I get one or two sparks no matter how long I told the button then a slight spark when I depress the button. Sometimes this is enough to start my bike, however it WONT when the side stand is down. I usually use the kick start anyway. Its not the CDI as I have a new spare one. So are we thinking stator, ignition coil? Possibly the electric start button?

My bike is a yamaha xt 125 2010

Thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It starts on the kicker so can only be something in the starting circuit.

As that works (as far as the engine turns over and you get a spark) we need to look for the common part.

The battery.

Airhead takes the gold star. Until the battery is proved ok (12.8v). That's where my money is.

Borrow a coil or buy a used one, Iv had a similar problem with a V twin, one of the coils was failing, it would start then stop.

Stop looking the wrong way. The engine runs fine on the kicker so the engine is fine. Coils etc too.

The problem is in the starter circuit. Or the motor.

The battery was easy to check. If that's good now you need to check the inhibitor switches.

• Like 1

here's a couple of sparks

Always thought that Ron Mael was a bit of a wierdo, he would probably feel at home on this forum. :yeah:

I remember some cars of old, the starter was drawing all the power, and only when letting go of the key, it fired, as releasing the key allowed bigger current to the coils, I"d say starter id suspect,,, :eusa_think: as it fires with kicker, ,,,

Also when I read the topic " two sparks then nothing" I thought this was another Wild foamy love life speil ,, :babyha:

You're on the ball there Blackheath, as I let go of the button there is usually a few small/weaker sparks. Tried that too airhead, no luck there either. It has both kevtherev, however the clutch one isn't activated now as my current lever is slightly different in shape, but the problem was found before I changed that. The side stand switch still does its job but I suppose could be defective still.

Sorry for slow replies guys, been a very busy bee recently.

Any idea on how to check the switches that cynic suggested?

You're on the ball there Blackheath, as I let go of the button there is usually a few small/weaker sparks. Tried that too airhead, no luck there either. It has both kevtherev, however the clutch one isn't activated now as my current lever is slightly different in shape, but the problem was found before I changed that. The side stand switch still does its job but I suppose could be defective still.

Sorry for slow replies guys, been a very busy bee recently.

Any idea on how to check the switches that cynic suggested?

just bypass them by connecting the wires together

• 4 weeks later...

my old Z650 has this kionda problem , jump it from a car battery it fires right up , i have an AGM batery in it now and it is better , but sounds like low voltage to me chaeck battery connections are clean , and starter connections ,etc etc

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online