Rear Suspension

tommosan
This post is 3349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hallo everybody, I am new to forum and have just bought a Diversion XJ600S and the centre stand only just touches the floor and will not keep the bike upright.

I suspect someone has put a bigger monoshock on for some reason.

I have looked on Ebay and the shocks seem very dear, does any one know of anywhere I can get a second hand one cheap or will a 600 Fazer one fit or any other similar 600 bike?

I don't do a lot of miles and don't want to spent a vast amount of money.

Can anyone help?

Tommosan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tommo , just check that niether of the tyres is oversize as this can cause the same problem . Stands also tend to wear quite a bit but can be brought back by welding a couple of bits of plate onto the worn "feet" to make up the difference . This might save you scourcing a new shock . Best o' luck .

Anything wrong with the sidestand.

If not use that when your out and use some wood under the stand at home.

Hi Tommo , just check that niether of the tyres is oversize as this can cause the same problem . Stands also tend to wear quite a bit but can be brought back by welding a couple of bits of plate onto the worn "feet" to make up the difference . This might save you scourcing a new shock . Best o' luck .

Thanks, will check that out.

Anything wrong with the sidestand.

If not use that when your out and use some wood under the stand at home.

I bought the bike because of the low seat hight, but can only get tip toe on ground, should be able to put feet flat, can on my deauville.

Tyres are 110.80.17 front and 130.70.18 rear is that the correct size?

Had a look at shock with torch, bolts bon't look right to me, threaded all the way across the bottom mounting, should be steel shank, also thread sticking out of the end of mounting with two nuts to lock it, should be a standard lock nut, can't see top mounting will have to get tank off.

I think I need to get the whole shock off and check it out.

Tommo.

That's the best thing to do, if you look at it off the bike it will tell you lots more than when it's hidden behind loads of gubbins. Measure it as well and compare that against a genuine shock, if it's much bigger than standard then there's your problem, a second hand shock is not always the best way to got, you never know how the thing has been treated, a new one will set you back a large chunk of change but then it will outlive the bike plus it's easier to sell if you tell folks that it has been done.

One thing you could check is the centre stand, I had a 97 900 Diversion and similar happened, it turned out, the centre stand had fractured on a weld point and the weight of the bike combined with continual use had bent the stand, I got a new stand but welded the old one as a spare

• Like 1

That's the best thing to do, if you look at it off the bike it will tell you lots more than when it's hidden behind loads of gubbins. Measure it as well and compare that against a genuine shock, if it's much bigger than standard then there's your problem, a second hand shock is not always the best way to got, you never know how the thing has been treated, a new one will set you back a large chunk of change but then it will outlive the bike plus it's easier to sell if you tell folks that it has been done.

Thanks for that, if we get some warm days I will have a go, not putting bike on road until April.

You seemed happy to get rid of your US spec Maxim 750, (I was glad to get rid of mine), also Ive never made any profit on bikes, always seem to get them up to scratch and then I'm fed up with it and buy another.

Cheers, Tommo

One thing you could check is the centre stand, I had a 97 900 Diversion and similar happened, it turned out, the centre stand had fractured on a weld point and the weight of the bike combined with continual use had bent the stand, I got a new stand but welded the old one as a spare

Sounds a possibilty, will check it out.

Thanks.

does your shock look like this?

P020408_2001.jpg

No it's got a different end on it and I can see thread both sides of the end boss. The adjuster is the same, but that bottom end is totally different. good piccy, thanks. Tommo.

Thanks for that, if we get some warm days I will have a go, not putting bike on road until April.

You seemed happy to get rid of your US spec Maxim 750, (I was glad to get rid of mine), also Ive never made any profit on bikes, always seem to get them up to scratch and then I'm fed up with it and buy another.

Cheers, Tommo

Me too , 30yrs later , lol

Update, shock removed and inspected, undersize bolts had been used to hold shock in place and bottom mounting bracket had been bent, because no spacers had been used.

Rang bike breakers to measure original up for me, 28cm end to end, the one I took off was 31cm, quite a difference, no wonder the centre stand would not hold the bike up and I could not touch the ground when sat on the bike.

Anyway second hand shock ordered from breakers, should be here Thursday.

Then another problem to sort, I have a tapping noise coming from the engine, have tried pulling clutch in but it makes no difference, don't know if its only when cold as I haven't been able to ride bike yet.

Can anyone tell me how to upload photo?

Tommo.

easy did a search on the forum......

etc etc ;)

BTW do you need an original Yam new clutch cable as I bought on in error for the 600s PM me if interested

god i would have swapped you my shock. im looking a slightly longer shock for my diversion :madflame: have you any piccies of the shock, if your selling it i mite take it of you?

that's bad, wonder if the bolt was high tensile?

Very bad and no they weren't high tensile and the wrong gauge, the bottom one was the same and they had bent mounting bracket over tightening it.

It just goes to show you that when you buy a new (second hand) bike it's best to check everything.

Tommo.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online