Hello I have just had an engine rebuild what would you suggest the best way is to ride in the engine

dave19941
This post is 3319 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First 300 miles I'd keep the revs to no more than 60% of redline and riding for no more than an hour at a time. 300 to 600 miles avoid full throttle. Change the oil and filter after 600 miles. As it's a dragstar you're probably going to want to polish it a lot :eusa_whistle:

As above really. Treat it like a new bike - do you know what the original owners manual says about running it in?

well I did the opposite, first few miles, take it fairly easy not loading the engine.

the next 20 or so I gave it some letting the engine rev to 80% of its top end and not loading the engine up. This stops the bores glazing and helps seal the piston rings.

I used mineral oil for that, then I drained and put semi synth in with a new filter. Bike ran a dream for the 6 years I owned it and no puff of smoke at all!

clean round to the redline and keep her at it.....

ok maybe not :hyper: just dont go mad with the revs and it will be fine.

• 1 month later...

hard run in every time

use mineral oil, get it warm, thrash it briefly heavy load med-high throttle, let cool by cruising for short time, repeat - drain oil after first few runs.

so many cars and motorcycles are run to their peak rpm/load on the dyno, this does most of the ring bed in, the fluids are often dumped and refilled. the take it easy is more of a thing to ensure suspension or other components aren't faulty - the 1000km service is meant to have a thorough once over for loose fasteners, faulty suspension etc anything that could have been done incorrectly at the factory that could cause catastrophic failure - this is my opinion but if you look at car factory vids and engine building stuff most of the bed in is in the first-second time the motor runs. i've known people with drag cars to bed the rings in on the strip.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online