Unable to increase tickover

XR650-R
This post is 3396 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

As posted before bike starts and ticks over pretty good now, but noticed the tickover screw even when fully in won't increase RPM....if I back it out it will decrease ?.....not a big problem but would have thought it would increase and decrease either side of typical tickover as required ?....

Anyone have any thoughts on why it should be like this ? From what I can remember the carb slide did lift when winding in the screw when it was on the bench. Maybe it still down to the bike needing a good run and clear out ?....sadly with all the white stuff and cold weather that won't happen till Spring lol....

Happy New Year

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the throttle valve where it engages with the adjuster screw . If it is pitted or worn it will be difficult to fine tune the tickover and should be replaced . Always lift the valve (via the twistgrip ) before adjusting the idle adjuster screw in order to prevent this type of damage occuring .

• Like 1

Check the throttle valve where it engages with the adjuster screw . If it is pitted or worn it will be difficult to fine tune the tickover and should be replaced . Always lift the valve (via the twistgrip ) before adjusting the idle adjuster screw in order to prevent this type of damage occuring .

Makes sense, in the past I have always just adjusted the screw inwards/outwards without doing the throttle lift bit. Don't remember seeing any damage to the vlave when the carb was in pieces but will check....:)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online