XVS950A

Dave-Dr
This post is 3370 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, i've been searching for a few days now but had no luck, i dont know a whole lot about caliper sizes/fittngs etc so im strugling to find what would fit.

Does anybody know of an alternate caliper that would fit on the XVS950?

Im aiming to upgrade the brake system, ive got braided brake lines ready to fit, but id like to swap the rear single piston caliper for something with more stoping power, the front caliper is 2 piston radial caliper, again if possible id like to change that for something better.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don`t understand why you need more power on the brakes. my standard break are doing a great job. more power on the rear brake mean more risk to lose your bike control. also the front brake is strong, I block 2 times the front wheel without putting to much effort on the lever. remember, in emergency situation you are tempted to hit hard the brakes and your upgrades will just increase the risk of crush.

this is all help I can give you in this case unfortunately :)

The brakes work but dont feel adequte, i have checked the pads thinking they might be worn but the appears to be plenty of life left in them, but ill be putting new sintered pads front & rear on this week, just in case.

I've done 8604 miles since august 2014 on the bike, my daily work commute is 60 miles, mixture of A roads, motorways and country roads, and most days thats 2 up, in any weather, so having brakes that work/perform the best is essential. If changing the pads & fitting braided lines doesnt give me the braking i want then a caliper upgrade is the route, so i want any info i can get to hand so if needed im ready.

Measure he hole centres dave , then look at other Yams,,, blue spot calipers are used on many models,,, :jossun:

I don't think there's ever been anyone here that's gone beyond braided hoses and sintered pads tbh. Not on a cruiser anyway. Remember its a big heavy bike, so you need to adjust your braking habits as well.

I have no idea if it's possible but you might want to look at whether you could modify the front to that of a XVS1300 which comes with twin brakes upfront...

It's a big, heavy bike and the fork rake means there's more of that weight going along the road, instead of down into it like you get on more racey bikes.

Like your cornering, it's just a characteristic you need to factor in to your riding.

However, I did find that fitting a Hagon shock (which was a couple inches longer than the standard) to my Cruiser raised the back end up and shortened the wheelbase a touch - This also reduced the rake and did actually make for better braking, as well as hastening the steering in corners!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online