Not quite a Yamaha production model.

Tommy10bikes
This post is 3268 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I thought maybe one or two guys maybe interested in this im building, well rather than building a SR500 based cafe racer

it felt right to build something trail bike orientated, but what. HL500 or Baja racer then this came to mind, the 1979 / 1980

Sonauto Paris Dakar bike. So this is how far i have got up to now, i have fitted YZ forks, Bilstein shocks made bar risers

and had a tank made, i have tried to get it right as possible even down to the decals and the rear Preston Petty rear mudguard,

im loving the making of brackets and fabricating plates. I keep coming up with problems of (How did they do that ) but so far

nothings stumped me, i have to make the rear rack next which will be harder than i predict.The plan is to get this one dont biuld

another from a different year, well its easy to build a cafe racer.

sonautoreplica.jpg

20141215_172602_zpsd2f6ff34.jpg

20141215_172626_zps4f820bb7.jpg

d92bf755-32b8-4760-9dce-e58aacc3dad3_zps

One thing i do need is a set of 1979 YZ400 spokes or rear wheel if anyone has a set.

TTB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That is one sweet looking bike, wish you the best in getting it all finished. :jossun:

Aye " she will be the rarest bike in uk that will , are there any surviving Dakar XT"s from that year

That's gotta be one of the ugliest tanks on the planet..but I admire wat u doing with that XT.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Well this is going for mot tomorrow , i also put in 3 gallons of fuel tonight and it only just covered the petrol tap feed pipes.

SAM_2389_zpsbkxhwa6m.jpg

TTB

• Like 1

Got a video and when i get time i will take some pics in the daylight.

TTB

• Like 1

love the national speed limit just outside the road where you live :thumb:

I can get you one of those Drew real cheap too

I can get you one of those Drew real cheap too

your going to buy me a house Tommy? :jossun:

Glad you like it , it rides great on and off road even with 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, even then it should take another 4 gallons.

Here are a few more pictures now its done and ready for Hay on Wye XT500 meet next week.

20150430_175140_zps4ufbwolk.jpg

20150430_175246_zpsi4yds1zi.jpg

20150430_175257_zpss8kas86l.jpg

20150502_151711_zpscdovjfh0.jpg

20150502_151725_zpswlwtjdsw.jpg

I just love it and far better for me than building a cafe racer which was my original plan.

TTB

• Like 2

Now that is nice!

Nice one Tommy..can`t be too many of these XT`s around.

Can`t believe you have so many convertible cars..thought it rains there all the time.