Petrol proof paint or not?

slice
This post is 3409 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok all quick question, is there such a thing as actual petrol (GAS) proof paint? I only ask as I have just painted my crash bars a (to me) nice red colour so they stand out and when messing with the carbs the last few weeks I managed to get fuel all over the blasted things, 10 minutes later I have bare metal and great big lumps of paint rolling off the bars, must add that I did wipe the petrol off as soon as I got it on them so not just left there for it to work it's magic! I also coated them with a "fuel proof" lacquer which I had left over from the XJ build, my fuel tank top is regularly dotted with fuel when I fill up and I just wipe it down with a paper towel and it's fine so why does my similar paint work just give up the ghost and die like Autumn (FALL) has arrived? I have tried Hammerite more crap and all the usual types of paint that you can get from most stores plus some stuff (XJ build) that was £21 a pint. Is it the fact that it is new and more prone to wear or do the Japanese use a magic formula that I can't find when they put the bikes together 20 odd years ago?

Any and all thoughts gratefully received cos I'm buggered if I can figure this out. :crazy:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

for the Gilera I used a clear two pack paint aerosol. its got cyanide in it so cover up and get a really good mask (or air supply)

Thanks both, Have tried the ProEX that's what came off ! but will try the 2 pack stuff Drewpy and see what happens.

I used Halfords petrol resistant lacquer on my tank. It did the job, never any problems after spilling a few drops while filling up.

• Like 1

Looked up Canbrush Tommy might give that a go, OB I have tried the Halford stuff and never had much luck with it, it seems to turn a milky colour when I try to apply it so not going there again but thanks anyway. :jossun:

It may be more of a preparation problem than the actual paint, what's the surface you are applying it to? Is it bare metal or chrome? Are you using a primer first?

There is no primer and the bars are old ones from ebay and a bit bashed about, so rubbed down to where most of it is flat plus the odd bit of bare metal and then just a top coat to cover the remaining paint then a coat of lacquer to seal it over, it's not perfect and to be honest I could have done a better job but my thinking was "they are going to get scratched anyway" so not a problem if I have to paint them on a regular basis but it's the petrol that has ticked me off cos I was not expecting the paint to melt like ice in the sun at the first whiff of fumes or a few drops of fuel.

Yer i too have used Halfords petrol proof paint and it did go a milky colour but then it went clear when it cured. Its more a bastard to flat back i found, whereas the normal clear coat was easier to flat back

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online