Points for a Dt 125 A

monk
This post is 3365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi yall, I Bought a 74 Dt 125 A from a buddy a few years ago. He sold it to me cheap since it didnt run. The problem with it was he ran the bike without a condensor and it destroyed the points. Over the last few years I have been trying to get a new set of points but as it turns out the old points were updated to a differant set. I can get the newer set but cant figure out how to mount them since they are quite a bit differant. My question is will the new set work and if so how do I mount them and set the timing and gap? Also do any of you know a good source to get NOS parts for this bike so I can get the original points. Here are a few pics of the points. The ones on the bike are the originals. They work but are very worn down due to the fact I had to file them so much to get rid of all the pitting. I tried to make a timing plate to mount the new set but it didnt work because the points stick out to far and hit the timing advance mechanism. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DSC01903_zpsbc4a9c3b.jpg

DSC01906_zps9479a033.jpg

DSC01904_zps4b96ea07.jpg

DSC01905_zpsa6205710.jpg

DSC01907_zps57c2edb5.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try jess bikes. [usa] thers lots of N,O.S in the states, have you a parts book? try and match them to CT3 DT175 ,, there all similar,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try jess bikes. I dont have parts book but I know the new set of points will fit a few different models over a range of years. The motorcycle that I have has a starter generator and other models have a magneto type ignition so the points setup is different. I have a clymer manual and it shows a pic of the starter generator and the points look exactly the same as the ones on my motorcycle. Whenever I have tried to find a set of points the original parts number is crossed off and the part number for this set is in its place. I dont know if this set will actually work or not, if they do I dont know how to install them and set the timimg and gap. If anybody had a pic of their motorcycle using these points that would help out alot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Blackhat. I finally did find the set of points I was looking for, they are the same as the At3. It will probably a few weeks untill I can get in the garage and finish work on this bike but when I do Ill show you all. Right now Im trying to convert the ignition system to an electric ignition that is controlled by the points. Hopefully it works then I wont have to do this again since the points should allmost last forever. Just in case somebody else has this same issue the parts number for the original set of points is 132-81221-10.

• Like 1

I have a listing for the type with the screw adjuster - I'll see if they are still available.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online