Blew the lights on the YB 100 by over revving?!

busyeddie
This post is 3398 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Went for a test ride after tightening a few bits up, seemed ok, but I haven't got used to the backwards gears yet.

Over revved the bike and heard a pop. Lost dipped beam. Switched to high beam to ride home, but shortly after lost this too.

Then the back light died.

Can I assume these basic bikes don't have a regulator on the lighting circuit?

And why did the lights not all die at once?!

Quite keen to get this fixed for Xmas as it's a present... But work is pretty mental ATM.

Any help much appreciated.

Ta in advance!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers Paul

Having thawed out i thought the same re battery

I'm gonna have a look tomorrow evening after work

PM sent!

Cheers

I think they have a proper regulator. That would be the pop.

the YB100 (dependant on modal year) had a resistor (hidden behind the number plate) to check if you have one look for a yellow wire with a black trace disappearing into the number plate mount..

if present they never normally gave problems but if the earth (via the rear mudguard) failed you could pop bulbs !

are you sure the head light blew first ?? it is possible the rear light blew first and sent 2 much to the headlight and switching to 'dip' just then blew the dip filiment

Check the wiring harness by the head stock if the outer casing is cracked there is a chance that the white wire from the rectifier is shorting out (this problem popped bulbs also and boiled the battery)

Check the connections to the rectifier (white & red wires)

Check the white wire connection from the mag (under the L/H side panel) .... (this may be a yellow wire or yellow/black trace ... depends on the year)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, truth be told I haven't had time to have a look yet, due to Christmas, but there's some great pointers here do be getting on with!! Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online