decorative Chrome

drewpy
This post is 3409 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

seems like the EU are banning it

Chrome plating as we know it will disappear forever if new European Union regulations come into operation, classic experts have warned.

The problem centres around the use of hexavalent chromium which is on the list of substances banned under EU regulation 1907/2006. It is acknowledged by the EU as a carcinogen, and chronic exposure has been linked with lung cancer – affecting those who work in the plating industry.

However, chrome plating experts have spoken to CCFS about their concerns over switching to the proposed substitute trivalent chromium.

The problem with this substitute is that the peculiar blue brightness associated with traditional chrome has proved difficult to reproduce, and trivalent does not self-repair like hexavalent, so if the surface is scratched the part will corrode.

Unless an exclusion is sought and granted, hexavalent chromium will disappear as a decorative finish by 2019 at the latest, and follows on from a ban on it being used in car production across the EU since 2007.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OH NO !! If your a Harley rider where are you going to get your fix of chrome from? I know, Harley will start selling more expensive chrome products from 3rd world countries, they do after all need the money, don't they? Never mind that some poor soul from these countries will get cancer, it's a small price (for someone else to pay) for looking cool after all !!

EDIT: you might notice a smidge of sarcasm here (not at Drewpy) that is the point, not all things that the EU do are intended to f**k you over sometimes it actually makes sense to remove stuff that actually hurts the people employed in these industries. I mean if you asked people to work on building sites without a hard hat all of the people would be up in arm about it cos people die without them. That by the way is an EU directive EU Directive 91/155/EC

Vote Ukip , get out of that nanny shithole E.U.

They want to save lives, then moan about an aging population, :crazy:

• Like 1

Vote Ukip , get out of that nanny shithole E.U.

Care to tell me where I can pick up my residence permit ?

Thanks.

Don't worry Dutch, you can hide in my loft !! :biglaugha:

• Like 1

seems like the EU are banning it

Not to worry............... the Americans won't!

Too much Chrome on all those Harleys and Old Chevys to stop doing there!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online