YX600 Radian Winter Project

89radian
This post is 3349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bought the bike towards the end of the riding season this year for 750. Had 6000 or so miles on it (odometer was not on the bike had broken off) rode about 1000 miles and now its time to fix it up and do some modifications.

List of mods and work for the winter:

Fork seals

Oil change

Fix leak on bottom of pan

new valve cover gasket

clean everything

french rear tail light and relocate license plate

paint fenders, tank, wheels gloss black

paint motor wrinkle black

powdercoating all chrome, aluminum and some other parts bronze

black clubman bars

bar end mirrors

black and bronze grips

wrap exhaust

digital speedo

new turn signals

led pods for headlights

will post progress as i go. not many people modify these bikes so feel free to ask questions. also this is my first bike so i will be asking questions as a go as well. here is the bike before i tore it down.

IMG_20141025_111019.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not many Radian owners on here, but a lot of componenets shared with the FZ/FJ/XJ models of the same era

I think they're cracking little bikes, nippy as chuff once above 4500rpm, top 120mph with ease. With decent rubber on, good handling too

See someones already swapped out the rectangular headlamp

Points to watch - keep the caplipers/pistons clean, can seize if ridden in bad weather often - front fender fragile at the edge where the spreader plate abuts the profile change - vacuum operated fuel tap reliability iffy - clutch cut out switch can bend and stick

welcome, well done and good luck with your project, nice photographs :spin2:

unlike yours mine is a monoshock arrangement.

if you find a good source of yam parts, that is old parts, could you let me know please?

Tried all the obvious places for this:-

v5cu52.jpg

FJ600 rear suspension (relay) bush part no 90386 - 18135,

it's for an XJ600 but the description seems to be FJ600, same part, nylon bush.

30a9vv6.jpg

number 8 on the diagram

thought about swapping to mono shock but decided to wait for now. thanks for the tips! never ride it iffy weather heard that the lines can go bad though? havent had any issues with it yet looks like the oil level sending unit on the pan is leaking so ill be looking in to that. as far as oem parts, there pretty tough to come by. ebay has a lot of salvage parts also found that bikebandit.com offers diagrams and oem parts might be your best bet for new stuff.

I do love this bike so far topped it out once racing a new cbr500 and walked it like it was standing still, not bad for a 25 year old bike! also took it to the drag strip and ran a 13.3 with very little launch and no burn out. didnt want to get a streetbike because everyone has them and i like to be different.

welcome, well done and good luck with your project, nice photographs :spin2:

unlike yours mine is a monoshock arrangement.

if you find a good source of yam parts, that is old parts, could you let me know please?

Tried all the obvious places for this:-

v5cu52.jpg

FJ600 rear suspension (relay) bush part no 90386 - 18135,

it's for an XJ600 but the description seems to be FJ600, same part, nylon bush.

30a9vv6.jpg

number 8 on the diagram

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-90386-18028-00-90386-18028-00-BUSH-SPECL-NYLON-/181508095199?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a42b9bcdf&vxp=mtrfound this on ebay

• 3 weeks later...

little update, everything is taken apart down to the frame and motor. sent out the parts for powdercoat and should have them back by friday. next step is ordering fork seals and oil, valve cover gasket. scored some free black paint and bought more primer and gloss black rattle can to freshen up the frame and paint all the bolts. need to pick up a can of wrinkle black for the motor yet and prep the rims and a couple other small parts. once everything is painted i will start assembly

Henry Ford country Blackhat, any colour you like as long as it's black :biglaugha: Looking nice mate.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since I posted, after a fall out with my powdercoater, long story, I sent the parts some where else and got them back Thursday. Worked on the bike all day today and got it all mocked up just need to torque everything down 20150122_101555.jpg

PSX_20150123_170547.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online