Tank sealant removal.

slice
This post is 3444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok boys and girls have a question for you. I bought a spare tank for the FJ (thanks foamy) good tank and all but it has been lined (I think) at some time with one of those liquid sealer's to stop the tank leaking or even to protect it from rusting inside, well anyway the problem is that the stuff has started to come off inside and in fact there is a great big lump of stuff rattling around inside about the size of a packet of fags or bigger, is there any way to melt this stuff or otherwise get it softened so I can get it out of the tank? I don't know what the guy used to seal the tank but was thinking if petrol don't melt it what does? Any advice greatfully received as I'm a bit stumped as to what to do other than reach in with a long rod and hammer the shit out of it till it's small enough to come out of the filler hole which I'm loath to do as I really don't want to dent the thing or crack the paint. Thanks all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gona be a pain to get out chemicaly,xylene woud soften it if not melt it back to a runny state but it will also do the same to the rest of the coating and I dont know if it would harden back up proprely or if you would have to flush it out and start over.

I supose as you have months of winter to wait you could try and see if it hardens back up the xylene would vapour off in a day or so.

Thanks dt going to try a gallon of M E K first then a gallon of Acetone, if neither of those work it's cut it in half then scrape the crud out and weld it back up.

As you please but xyleen is one of the most common thinners on the market,and far more friendly to dry paint than acetone.

LOL and dont be suprised when the cops show up wondering why/ if your making meth in your garage. MEK is under the drug watch of all police forces.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_Against_Illicit_Traffic_in_Narcotic_Drugs_and_Psychotropic_Substances

Thanks for that dt didn't know about MEK being a drug item. as long as they don't light a match when they are looking around my garage then it will be ok I suppose otherwise we will all be waving at the space shuttle as we go by!! :biglaugha: