looking for a custom

beemer328
This post is 3442 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, I am thinking of part exing my Diversion for a custom, although I love the Diversion I prefer the low seat hight of custom bikes. The thing is I need to have a top box on my bike for work but have never seen a custom with one on, has anyone on here got one on there bike? and secondly, I have seen a 250 virago for sale, is the 250 any good or should I hold out for a 535 or 650 dragstar? I think my diversion must be worth around £1500 due to low miles, condition etc and I have around £500 to add to that, would I get something decent for that? appreciate anyones thoughts on this.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't go for the 250. I will be soooo underpowered. My boy has the 535 virago, and whilst he's happy with it (it's his first 'big' bike) I would go for the 650 or above dragstar.

I used to have a 535 a while back, it was fun to ride and I really enjoyed it but I would say go bigger you won't regret it.

Keep the divvy for your daily commute. Get a cruiser (draggie 650 and above) for your weekend fun. That's what I did. Cruisers like rain and salt even less than other bikes do. They're great (I have the draggie 650 myself) but they are no substitute for a workhorse commuter like the divvy (or in my case a Honda CB500).

Hi All, thanks for your thoughts, I use the diversion for work but finding it a bit tall and heavy for town work, I am a bit of a short**se and have problems reaching the floor, hence going for a cruiser for work. I have a Harley as a weekend bike and would love to use it every day but trying to keep the miles off of it.

Ok that's interesting. Go for the Draggie 650 then, the riding height is plenty low, but be prepared to change the rear monoshock at some stage (it's prone to rust and snapping at the base with wet weather riding).

Gotta agree with all of the above.

If you have a Harley already then your love the 650 Draggy, brilliant at low speed and very compfy top end isn't great but its a cruiser so speed isn't in its nature but it has plenty of torque to pull anyones fat ass up to speed in a jiffy.

Try taking one out for a test ride as well as the 535 to see which one you like, the 535 will be a lot better in the corners compaired to the draggy

As mentioned, going from quite a nippy 600 to a small engined Cruiser will be torture!

I personally found the 650 took a bit of getting used to before you could sling it around in tight traffic and even then still has the occasional width issues.

But both the 535 and 650 will do nicely, as will most of the mid-sized Cruisers. The 750 Shadow and Yamaha's other 950s will be equally good. Suzuki's 800s are likely about the same.

I use my XVS1100 as a commuter at the moment and believe me, it isn't really a commuter. In fact, it handles like a bus and weighs a ton. I'd personally get a CB500 for around town, they're reliable cheap bikes and the engines are bulletproof. Sell the Harley and get a Warrior or Royal Star !! :spin2: