How often should you top up your oil?

morne
This post is 3417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First bike. Yamaha xt350 97.

If ridden the bike for probably 400kms now. There always seems to be n little oil in the barge plate at the bottom, so Im worried that I might end up riding it without oil or to low of a level and do damage to the engine.

Is the bit of oil in the barge plate normal?

How often do I need to top up oil?

How much? Is there a dipstick like in a car?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some bikes have a dipstick but most don't you usually have to scrabble around on the floor trying to look through a really small window on the side of the engine that has gone opaque over the years, as to when to top the oil up, well when it needs it is the only answer. Don't know what a barge plate is so can't help with that. Must say tho that if you have oil leaking and it's collecting in the "barge plate?" area then fix the leak.

I think by "Barge Plate" He/She means the metal plate under the engine to stop the engine getting damaged as its an off roader.

Oh OK thanks for that, live and learn! :jossun: Tho I thought that was called a BASH plate.

• Like 1

You are probably right. I was just guess describing it.
Thanks. Taking the bike in next week for a check-up, think it will be better to just have someone professional have a look and assessment.

Good luck, hope it's not to expensive. :jossun:

Its always good to check the oil regular other wise you end up properly out of pocket with a very bitchy wife for a few months :eusa_shifty:

Not familiar with this bike so I'll assume its a wet sump!

If you have only ridden it for 400km and it thinks its a 2 stroke! and no signs of a leak. I'd be looking at the piston rings 1st and hopefully they are only gummed up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online