Bike won't start (electrical)

Scott8155
This post is 3413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys. So I'm fitting a new speedometer to my yamaha xt 125 x 2010, a koso dbo1r I think it's called. Any way, I stripped the bikes panels off, took out the old speedometer and began wiring my new one in. When I had wired the power cables I tested the Speedo/bike by connecting the battery back up and watching the speedo light up as it should. At that point I started my bike too just to check if it would. After that I began wiring the rest of the speedo, this including a 'rpm wire' which connected to the ignition coil. I then tested the bike again to find nothing. No electrics and therefore the bike wouldn't start either. I checked the ground and changed the fuse. Nothing. Any ideas? I'm no electrician or mechanic so sorry in advance if I missed anything or said something incorrect.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'll do that. It will be tomorrow now. The only wires I have intentionally touched are the ones coming out of my speedometer and I cut them close to the pin connector. But I'm open to any suggestions aha. I've only been on my bike a few months and this is the first electrical 'experience' I've had. So its probably something stupid I've done

I would suggest you check the ignition switch plug hasn't been knock loose,and the old oops I hit the kill switch.Confirm the battery is charged with a multi meter or even just a test light.A week battery can make for hard starting.And confirm you have power to the ignition switch comming in and out with the key on.

Then work backwards by undooing what you did untill you find what you did wrong if anything,would seem that you have accidently un pluged something.

Thanks dt. I'll check the ignition next. Unfortunately it's not the kill switch, even though I wish it was. The battery is fully charged as that has been checked already. All I did was cut my speedometer out and start fitting the new one, at first I just connected the power wire from the battery and the power for the ignition, grounded it also, then tested the bike and the Speedo worked and the bike started also. Then I connected the rest of the speedo, which during this the only wire on the bike I messed with away from the speedo was once attached to the ignition coil, which was so I could fit a wire provided to get the rpm reading. I of course reconnected this wire when trying to start the bike.

My dad is going to have a look tomorrow, as well as his friend who is good with electrics, so hopefully they'll find the problem. Would yamaha still look at my bike if I wanted this aftermarket speedo fitted?

Scott, any bike shop worth the name will fix your bike mate, but they will also ream you a new arse hole when it comes time to pay, as above undo all that you did before you fitted the new speedo and then see if the problem is still there, it's been known that another problem can come up while your fixing something else, if your bike starts and runs when it's back together then you know it's the new part but if it don't then it's something else that has come loose or broken while you were frigging around inside the headlight or the engine, again as above look for broken wires or even loose ones, try a multi meter on both ends of any suspect wires as they can be broken some where in the length of the cable plus make sure all the switches work as they should. Good luck mate. :jossun:

Thanks for that Slice, I only ask about a yamy dealer doing it so I know that's there as a last resort. Sad thing is I was gonna sell up for something better when I got this done the other day aha, ah well at least I'll learn something new by getting this sorted. If putting the old speedometer on doesn't make the bike run then I'll just go nuts on the wiring with a multimeter ahah. I'll post up any findings, if any!

Just a quick idea guys. So a wire from the ecu mounts onto either the positive or negative part of the ignition coil. I'm not saying I have, but if I've put this together the wrong way, e.g. put this wire onto the negative when it may have to go on the positive, then may this be my problem?

Is there ignition lights yet scotty", power goes thru iggy before coils,, I know the fuse is new ,but check the fuse holder,,[ loose- bad connection]

Hey Scottie the lights and everything else would still work ,the cdi is only going to stop it from running.So unless you have the rest working you havent found your problem.

My dad's friend is an electrical whiz and showed me why he thought that was so. The headlight relay is behind the cdi so the circuit breaks before its getting there. So we'll see when the new part comes in a few days. I'll let you know dt.

Strange never seen a wireing diagram where the cdi was in any way related to the lighting circut,I am not saying he is wrong just never seen a bike wired that way.Not very safe if your cdi goes while your driving down a pich black dark road.

So you have corrected the wireing at the coil that blew the cdi?

If you could put a pictuer up of the wireing diagram I would like to see how this is wired for future reference.Lots of xt owners here.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online