valve stem and rocker shaft removal

erbrod
This post is 3433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My sr 250 exhaust valve seat broke off the stem and now I am having a difficult time removing stem I've used the compression tool to push spring down and get at the collets but its not working out. The seat broke off apparently a while before it just stopped running and destroyed the piston head. I have the new parts for her but can't get that stem out. How Does one get the rocker arm off, does it have to come off to get stem out? Any ideas? I've thought about using heat on it would that be an option I should consider? thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My sr 250 exhaust valve seat broke off the stem and now I am having a difficult time removing stem I've used the compression tool to push spring down and get at the collets but its not working out.

the compression tool isn't working?

how can you compress the valve spring if the rocker isn't removed?

I suggest you get a manual and read the steps before rushing into the job

Right, the factory service manual I have mentions I can use a 6mm screw to slide out rocker shaft and it should slide out easily however it does not slide out easily, so it mentions to use special tool, what is this special tool? I admit I am new to this but cannot afford to pay a mechanic. Yes the rocker must come off to compress valve spring, I can be daft at times... So where can I get this special tool to get rocker out? Thanks for the tip.

But you could probably pick up a used motor anywhere in the USA cheaper than fixing your old one.

it would be a slide hammer i suspect. to pull the shaft out.

a bolt screwed in and a few taps outwards should dislodge it. just don't go mad as you'll bend the shaft. also use a forked peice of rod under the bolt head and tap on that to keep things square

Yes it is a slide hammer I've found out... thanks, now I just have to wait for it to arrive since there aren't any shops here that sell one. I really want to repair this but I'm serioously considering bringing this part to nearest bike shop and see if it can be pulled out and have new valve installed. I need my ride. Thanks for all the advice.

i looked into buying another motor however I would still have to take it apart to make sure all parts are still good so why not just do that with mine? I'm getting cylinder bored another .50mm ordered o/s piston and rings got new seals and gaskets and another cylinder head with valves but no cam. Will have to use my camshaft although I need one just can't find one under 65$. I know I've been rushing this but it is my only means of transport gotta get it right. Any ideas on how to get case split without splitter tool? and how do I upload pics on this forum?

Go to FAQ the answers are there to up load pictuers,you will need to use a host site like photo bucket.

Honestly if your living in FLA you could buy a running bike for less than what your about to spend.

Out here in va. beach no chance of finding bike for less than i've spent rebuilding this one

o/s piston 70$

o/s piston ringset 45$

used camshaft 100$

used cylinder head 98$

uni filter for carb 40$

uni filter crankcase 20$

fuel lines 6$

rocker arms 75$

gallon kerosene 10$

clutch removal tool 15$

flywheel puller tool 15$

machine screws and bolts 25$

rear brake shoes 20$

front brake shoes 35$

cylinder bored 55$

I have to add that at times it has been frustrating however I have learned much and I am glad that it is coming together. still waiting for ringset and camshaft to arrive then i'll assemble it and ride again. fortunately I was introduced to a master engineer living in this town and he has been encouraging through all of this.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online