1989 Radian help with winter plans

89radian
This post is 3384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bought a 1989 radian a couple months ago and plan on doing some stuff to it this winter. rather than make multiple threads with separate questions I figured I would make one with a couple questions for you all.

1. I would like to go mono shock, what stock bikes with monoshocks have swing arms that would bolt into my frame with minor mods or no mods?

2. If I have to use the stock arm can I swap to a disk brake?

3. Do pod filters require syncing or rejetting?

4. What streetbike tanks have a center tunnel that I could use?

Feel free to answer what you can and give me insight thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bought a 1989 radian a couple months ago and plan on doing some stuff to it this winter. rather than make multiple threads with separate questions I figured I would make one with a couple questions for you all.

1. I would like to go mono shock, what stock bikes with monoshocks have swing arms that would bolt into my frame with minor mods or no mods?

Sorry, cant help

• 2 months later...

dont go down the pod filter route, they can be a nightmare to get the getting correct... swingarm wise you will have to rip your own out and measure the size (width) and bearing sizes and start your hunt from there. long task and mite be easier to leave as is?

As above pod filters are a bastard to set up and YES you will need to rejet or even drill your carbs and then rethread the internals, so if you do that then the next guy who buys the bike will need a new set of carbs if he wants to go stock. Drum brakes on the rear or discs are about the same to be honest, I actually prefer the drum rear as it has less tendency to grab and slide, just my opinion mind you.

1. fz600 but need to weld in brackets for shock and then see about all the other stuff you need to move

2. possibly off an fz600

3. yes

4.FJ600 possibly

if you do swap out your swing arm, they go for a lot of money to xs650 owners upgrading theirs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online