Good day to all

morne
This post is 3453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

My name is Morne. Ive recently bought myself a Yamaha XR350 1997. I have never ridden a big bike before, always just small automatics. Mostly this was the sort of tourist bikes you get in Greece on Thailand etc.

So Im not sure how things work here exactly, but Im going to probably ask quite a few questions through the course of time.

Starting off with something that happened last night on a training ride. I rode for probably 20km and was just around the corner from home. I turned onto a small street and accelerated quite mildly and shifted into second. Again accelerated mildly. I wasnt going fast and the revs was not really high. I dont know what I did but I accidentally shifted the bike back to first without using the clutch.

I did not notice anything wrong as I shifter back to 2nd and on to 3rd. After about 300 meters I arrived home. I put the stand out and tried to select neutral. But neutral was gone and still is. I tried quite a few times.

It seems like it might be going from 1st to 2nd. It does not matter how lightly or carefully I tried to shift it, it does not go to neutral.

So I guess my obvious question is, could I have done a bit of damage to the bike with my downshift, or is ther possibly something im not thinking about?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Morne and welcome to the YOC :wavey: I bet you are not turning the rear wheel as you try to get the bike into neutral, unlike cars bikes need to have the rear wheel or rear sprocket moving slightly to get the gears to change, try this, put the bike on the centre stand, hold the rear wheel with your right hand and use your left to move the gear lever rock the rear wheel back and forth while moving the gear lever that should solve your problem or sit on the bike and rock it back and forth while changing gear with your left foot.

:wavey: welcome aboard!

weak detent spring. pushes ball into shift drum at neutral , this also earths the neutral light,,, :jossun: ,,,welcome..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online