Sr125 1997

pignapper
This post is 3214 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, as described in the welcome section. Got a beaten up bargain for £240. So can afford to spend a bit on it. full engine rebuild, lots of new parts and a respray. First time doing this and have already snapped a head bolt, oh and the bloody sump plug refuses to budge, got a mate to sort that for me. Thoroughly enjoying doing it though so as I do the work I will update snd post pics.

Stay safe.

a409778208a7e3f109b6d776184d6e67.jpg

d6ebcb4d64ab758384efab09578a3859.jpg

28b0218b24dd214d9758c900d9563d0d.jpg

16c2e1aeaa16134e470fed4ed4f3593f.jpg

942e85ec8cd20c10b8c3be73810c4fcf.jpg

f770a70ad65d2cb8714a137d5089a5b4.jpg

951964ab39d21ed50b87a7813350e06a.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh my, that is definitely well beaten!.

Last year I dragged one out of a hedge, gave it a scrub up, got it going with new tyres and such and sold it on, barely made my money back but learnt a lot about them, post up a list of your jobs you want to do as there's a few other Sr owners on here I'm sure can lend a hand.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

if your stripping the engine down completely, I'd recommend vapour blasting. Its not cheap but the finish is really good. just check out my Gilera thread

• 2 weeks later...

84d80b95b97a721054f8c9a13629ee0a.jpg

864154cf72d1eb886f9faaf2304b0ac2.jpg

c0ccabc7bc5ad9e83befe2b7f0b353f8.jpg

Hi guys and gals, ok quick update.

Not done much work on the bike for a few weeks, spent alot of time at work doing overtime to get pennies to spend on parts and for christmas. However I have been busy buying parts As you can see from the pics. VERY pleased that I managed to pick a left hand side panel in a box of bits all for £31. Nice seat, piston, gasket set and plenty of other stuff. Its like xmas came early for me. [emoji4] the second engine I bought for £50, needed a starter motor which was goingbto cost me £45 so bought the engine and will sell on the rest. After cleaning of course. Will be starting the engine rebuild tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1423c8d1e211fe7a08c200b73a143098.jpg

497c0c7c0e2cede35d352b0a56287f39.jpg

3df1a0720e685a700edda5fc618c013d.jpg

Ok time for a quick update. The engine is now rebuilt, lots of new parts and as you can see a bit of paint and polishing.

Hand sanding is bloody hard work. The finish isnt perfect but this is a learning curve and for a first attempt im pleased with the result. I am going to order stainless bolts for a bit of extra bling.

Bench tested the starter and all seems well. Next ill fit the engine back on the bike and order last few bits. Exhaust, front disc and then time to decide on the paint job. Any ideas.....

Looking good. :)

Looking very nice! It rained yesterday so, (following the philosophy of one of the mods on here) mine got a wash and some fresh chain lube!

Thanks andrewElvisFan but no, ive now got a spare right panel

Pity you're so far from me - we may have been able to come to a deal. I have a front wheel from a 97 SR which I don't need (I have 2 '94 SR's and the disc is on the right!) my fixer upper has a damaged right panel and my daily ride had the panel nicked a couple of weeks ago!

3dc34783dde589a47913447f47a9867e.jpg

Good evening ladies and gents, Hope all is well in your world.

Time for a quick update. As you can see from the pic I have moved the frame onto the bench, its a bit cramped in a shed but it beats being outside, the frame had been hand painted with hammerite so needed to remove it to see what lurks beneath. To be honest its in good condition only a little bit of rust, hardly any on the swing arm so I think thats been replaced at some point. Didnt want to leave bear metal so gave it a tickle of primer. Off work tomorrow so will do a bit more.

Stay safe.

Ok took wiring loom off handle bars swing arm and forks. New bearings needed.

Had bit of a wobble today thinking "how does this all go back together".

Also I think I am going to have to double check the engine. When I put the timing chain back on, I aligned the top cam and fly wheel with their marks. Have just read that I needed to align a third wheel. Can anybody help on this.

Stay safe

• Like 1

Hi airhead,

Cant answer that as this is a learning project for me, however I have just googled balancer shaft and I havnt seen or removed one. It may be in the gearbox but havnt touched the gears, waaay too complicated for me.

its bad that some pond life feels it nessesary to steal.

Dont even get me f*cking started! (Project FUCR) :madflame:

im sure i got an old SR manual kicking around somewhere, i'll have to do some research, i dont remember there being a third wheel...

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Just checking in. Hope you all had a nice christmas and a drunk new year.

not much to tell on the bike due to it being bloody cold. No point in rushing it and then it standing around waiting for the warmer weather. Theres 2 inch of snow outside at the moment so bugger that for a game of soldiers. If your riding in this weather, remember stay safe and watch for the dickheads pulling out.