DT175 mono shock upgrade

Yakman12
This post is 2522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys

I have a 1980 DT175 (DT175MX to the chaps in the UK)

Basically I'm working through restoring it and I'm looking to give the rear suspension a bit of a boost.

Is anyone aware of a modern rear shock that will fit an old DT175 mono shock? Specifically an increase in ride height / travel would be useful.

I have traweled on google for hours and I'm not really winning (other than a very expensive Wilber shock replacement).

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope.

You wont find it cos it aint there.

There were jack up kits that lifted the bike about 30mm. They pop up on ebay.

Otherwise moving the top shock mount was done in the past. Someone did it to mine.

Doesent do the bike any favours as the steering gets twitchy and the chain rubs the sw arm.

Thanks Cynic!

Looks like I'm not going to win.

Do the original shocks tend hold thier own? Or is mine likely to be stuffed after 34 years of abuse? Its a little tough to tell when riding the old beast.

I'll keep an eye out for a lift kit anyway.

The lift kit is pretty basic.

Some spacers for the bottom of the fork stanchion and another that fits behind the top shock mount on the shock its self.

Yes the shock is very strong. Puts modern stuff to shame. If you ride it hard it will wear out but they are tough.

Hi there , those old monoshocks are pretty tough . If you want to jack it up ( for offroad only ) . Remove the shock from the frame and you'll see the "eye" where the shock mounting bolt goes through . The eye end is threaded onto the shock and can be screwed off . The spacers that were available were just like a long hexagonal nut with a threaded portion on one end matching the original thread on the shock . The spacer screws on in place of the eye , the eye then screws back onto the spacer . If you know anyone in a machine shop it would be very easy to make one up . Cynic was correct in saying this causes the chain to rub the swingarm , you need to have the swingarm chain roller and the spring loaded chain tensioner in good nick and the chain given a little slack . Having said all that I don't know if there's any practical advantage . We used to do it " ' cos it looked cool " lol , and it does . Ah , to be 17 again .

• 2 years later...

Digging this up through research......

#Airhead, is there any change you could perhaps scan those install documents to a downloadable PDF file with dimensions of the Bushes, Allen cap bolts and "extension piece" please?

25 minutes ago, kiln said:

Digging this up through research......

#Airhead, is there any change you could perhaps scan those install documents to a downloadable PDF file with dimensions of the Bushes, Allen cap bolts and "extension piece" please?

sorry kiln but I cant, I sold them a while back

Tank you Airhead, for the quick response.

I see about an inch needs to be cut on the spacer inside the spring and looking at the pic posted I can estimate the extension to be about an inch, would you agree on my estimation?

yes I'd estimate about an inch on the front spacers so that would mean getting allen bolts longer that the original by the same amount, the rear looks a little longer?

I sent a message to the chap who sold them originally to ask if he has any left, I doubt it though

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online