Want a new helmet

Grouch
This post is 3399 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I want a new helmet. I've had my current one for a few years and its scuffed and scratched, it's also been dropped a few times :crazy: I had a dual sport which I liked but it got nicked. I currently have a moto x style one but I want to get a full face. After looking at all the options I just don't understand safety wise what the difference between is from a 50 quid to a 1000 quid helmet? Is buying a cheaper helmet dangerous because they are not as strong etc?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They all have to be tested to a certain degree to be certified legal for road use, obviously some have different levels of padding, pinlocks, interchangable visors.

Was also told that the higher-end helmets actually use different shells for each different size, whereas the cheaper ones just add more padding to a large shell to change the sizes.

Grouch.....I may be able to help you....we used to own a motorcycle clothing and accessory shop on Wirral and have some helmets left over. They are brand new but would need to know a few more details from you.

The most important thing about a helmet is the fit......end of!

The best way to look at the cost of a helmet is to use a car analogy......if you needed to travel from Land's End to John O'Groats and had the choice of two cars, a bog standard Fiesta or say a top of the range Merc which one would you choose? They will both get you there but clearly one will get you there in a greater degree of comfort.....adversely if you you only had a 5 mile journey to make each way why would you need the Merc because you wouldnt be in it long enough for its creature comforts to make a difference........

A £50 lid will do the job provided it is accredited but the more expensive will offer a more a greater level of comfort......but......unless it fits properly it doesnt matter what you pay for it it wont do the job of saving your life if it needs too

• Like 2

After looking at all the options I just don't understand safety wise what the difference between is from a 50 quid to a 1000 quid helmet? Is buying a cheaper helmet dangerous because they are not as strong etc?

Some people may call me a liar but the price does not necessarily reflect how well they'll protect your head.

Best place to look for a safer helmet would be - http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

All the ones on there have been tested (not by the manufacturer i must add) They have a 5 star rating system and illustrations of how the head has taken the damage.

I bought a nitro Aikido helmet for less then £50.... it's 5 star rated. This is the same rating as a £799.99 AGV pista gp helmet. :crazy: (links for the nonbelievers - AGV http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/agv-pista-gp and Nitro http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nitro-aikido )

Obviously make up your own mind, but i would happily use the Aikido for any kind of bike riding.

My only question is why the hell don't we hear from you until you need help? lol Where have you been grouchy? You should pop by more often is all i'm saying :)

• Like 1

Some people may call me a liar but the price does not necessarily reflect how well they'll protect your head.

Best place to look for a safer helmet would be - http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

All the ones on there have been tested (not by the manufacturer i must add) They have a 5 star rating system and illustrations of how the head has taken the damage.

I bought a nitro Aikido helmet for less then £50.... it's 5 star rated. This is the same rating as a £799.99 AGV pista gp helmet. :crazy: (links for the nonbelievers - AGV http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/agv-pista-gp and Nitro http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nitro-aikido )

Obviously make up your own mind, but i would happily use the Aikido for any kind of bike riding.

My only question is why the hell don't we hear from you until you need help? lol Where have you been grouchy? You should pop by more often is all i'm saying :)

I have been looking at posts just not signing in. Some saddo has been hacking my social media accounts etc so I have not been online as much lately.

I've had no problems with my bike either so haven't needed any help.

I quite fancy an AGV for some reason. Is there such thing as an anti fog helmet? It pisses me off not to mention dangerous when the visor fogs up in the rain etc.

no worries man! Just wondering where you've been that's all.

You probs fancy the AGV for the same reason people like Alpinestars or ducati because they are fancy as fuck lol. It's always nice to have fancy things but not always worth the difference in price. :eusa_think:

No you can get one for under 100 quid. The most I've paid for an helmet is 60/70. I'm poor. I'd love one of the streamlined carbon fibre racing ones lol.

I bought mine from Ghostbikes on eBay for £30. 'Should have been £90' but the internal sun visor is a little stiff so were cheap. Fits just fine but at 30 there is a lot of wind noise. As said above gives me the same protection as a £200 or more helmet but no gadgets. And it was comfortable enough for 600 miles to squires and back! Shame I can't say quite the same for the SR!

Nice to see you Grouch! :) I've got a Gmax helmet and was able to get an anti-fog visor for it so I'd imagine they make them for the more spendy helmets too. :thumb: mine doesn't fog on the inside anyway... but if I wear my glasses they still fog. :eusa_think:

I'm looking for a new helmet... need something more streamlined for 80mph on the interstate... but I can't find one with a chin strap small enough. :(

I want a new helmet. I've had my current one for a few years and its scuffed and scratched, it's also been dropped a few times

After reading this i wont be supprised to see you on that embarising bodies with a poorly looking helmet :biglaugha:

• Like 2

Grouch.....I may be able to help you....we used to own a motorcycle clothing and accessory shop on Wirral and have some helmets left over. They are brand new but would need to know a few more details from you.

The most important thing about a helmet is the fit......end of!

The best way to look at the cost of a helmet is to use a car analogy......if you needed to travel from Land's End to John O'Groats and had the choice of two cars, a bog standard Fiesta or say a top of the range Merc which one would you choose? They will both get you there but clearly one will get you there in a greater degree of comfort.....adversely if you you only had a 5 mile journey to make each way why would you need the Merc because you wouldnt be in it long enough for its creature comforts to make a difference........

A £50 lid will do the job provided it is accredited but the more expensive will offer a more a greater level of comfort......but......unless it fits properly it doesnt matter what you pay for it it wont do the job of saving your life if it needs too

Hi Unk, what sort of helmets do you have?

I'm after one size 58 :)

After reading this i wont be supprised to see you on that embarising bodies with a poorly looking helmet :biglaugha:

It's all green and yellow I don't know what's up with it :spin2:

• Like 2

The only 'sure fire' way is to fit a pinlock.....it acts like a 'double glazing'unit.....some of the helmets we have come with pinlock ready visors and some with the pinlock included too.....what size are you?

The brands we stocked were Shoei, Shark, HJC, Nitro, Davida......be careful of buying 'a bargain to good to miss' as helmets have 'shelf lives'

The EPS liner will start to degrade....what does this mean? In a new helmet....one that has never a) been tried on, B) worn will have a an EPS that is unaffected by bacteria (everyone has it on their head its a fact of life) this will get into the EPS and it will start to degrade over a period of time (maybe a year or two) and go 'hard'....you wont notice as it will be a subtle difference....wont notice until it really matters that is.

A new helmet with an unaffected EPS liner is preferable because.....its like putting a tennis ball on your head and hitting it with a hammer, the energy of the impact is absorbed by the soft ball.....a helmet with an old/used EPS liner would be like putting a cricket ball on your head and hitting it with a hammer....the load would transmit to the head....and we know what they can mean.

A customer of ours came into our shop having bought 'a bargain too good to miss' and the rep from that Co (HJC) said once the customer had left that the helmet in question had not been in their range for 7 years (it was brand new).....

Not trying to scare anyone just trying to educate......hope this helps when it comes to making a decision

• Like 2

Just a question to ponder when buying a helmet how strong are the bones in your neck compared to the helmet, and your brain carries on going in an impact till It comes in contact with your skull. So as strong/good as your helmet is to cope with impact damage, you still my well sustain life changing or life threatening head or neck injuries. Sorry for being so cheerful and I hope nobody on here ever has to test there helmet for real.

The idea of the EPS liner being new and in good condition is that it slows down the impact thereby increasing the chances of survival. It is vitally important that the helmet fits correctly because if the helmet rattles around on your head you are effectively introducing another impact.....ie helmet hits object, head hits inside of helmet, brain makes impact with skull......if the head fits snuggly in the helmet with as much of your head being in contact with the inner as possible you almost eradicate the second part of the impact.

Hope this helps and like Steve 1052cc dont want to scare anyone just trying to offer the benefit of my knowledge as someone who has been schooled by technicians from Shark and Shoei

• Like 1

, brain makes impact with skull......

"Up yours" kev , your fooked , as thers a lot of free play in there :spin2:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online