Yamaha XS250 1978

Unk
This post is 2758 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers Tommy.....I'm watching it.....really want a 2/2 but as you say could get me going.....

Spoken with RK Leightons in Birmingham and decided that's where the seat is going for refurb/recovering as price they quoted was very good......

Still to decide what I am going to do with the engine casing.....would love to have it ceramic/aqua/soda blasted but if that is to happen it will have to wait until funds arrive from stock we are selling from the Motorcycle Clothing and Accessory shop we had.....its a labourious task on FB....

Located a couple of exhaust mufflers....one in UK one in Germany......do they make them from gold because the prices certainly appear to indicate so....they are original Yamaha bits of kit though......both NOS but one has a couple of scratches.....and neither has the downpipe included......arrrggghhh what to do?

Located a couple of exhaust mufflers....one in UK one in Germany......do they make them from gold because the prices certainly appear to indicate so....they are original Yamaha bits of kit though......both NOS but one has a couple of scratches.....and neither has the downpipe included......arrrggghhh what to do?

make sure they have the correct end caps on, they changed them 1980.

you can get down pipes made out of stainless but they'll be single wall and will blue.

make sure they have the correct end caps on, they changed them 1980.

you can get down pipes made out of stainless but they'll be single wall and will blue.

Would you still need a set of down pipes to make the stainless one's from as a pattern ?

Would you still need a set of down pipes to make the stainless one's from as a pattern ?

I think they used to bike as a template, although I have a manky unrestorable one if needs be.

Na Tommy any good pipe bender could make them with the bike as a template,Jimmy Cox the best bender in London Ont. can make any pipe if you bend a piece of wire along the center line of what you want.Tell him what your putting it on and with out even seeing it he will make em right but thats what 40yrs of bending pipe teaches you I guess.

Dont right them pipes off Drew I have seen some prety thin pipes ceramic coated,jet coated ,come back to life.They dont need much to work with and once coated they never rust again, or blue,flow better than new.And done in black look great,silver is ok but looks like crapy fake chrome to me. As long as they can be diped cleaned down to metal without big gaping holes they can be coated.

Titianum pipe is expencive but dosent blue(well it does but can be claend back and only right at the exhaust port) or rust and gets a cool golden colour,the pipe on the Wr is 14yrs old and as good as new.But what the stock pipes are going for might not be anymore expensive for the small amount you would need Unk.Food for thought.

• Like 1

Paid the price for the ones I was watching on ebay in that I was on a course all day today, not able to get on internet and there were two bids....mine at £35.00 and the winner at......£36.00.....gutted.....and lesson learned I guess!

Paid the price for the ones I was watching on ebay in that I was on a course all day today, not able to get on internet and there were two bids....mine at £35.00 and the winner at......£36.00.....gutted.....and lesson learned I guess!

Well you don't know that. Your opposite number may have put in a top bid of 65 quid. At £1 increments £36 is the next one up.

As drewpy said, if you really want it and cant watch 't puter all day go Goofbid : http://www.goofbid.com/

Dont be gutted at losing by a single £ Unk, for all you know he bid £20 more than you :)

at the very least ask him where he got that 2 in 2 system

I'm on the case guys and thanks.....the bike is stripped down completely now and as finances allow I will be shipping components off for their restore, frame, engine paintwork, seat etc

As soon as I have new pics I'll post them :eusa_shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XS-250-CLASSIC-MOTORBIKE-Honda-/141511047639?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20f2b739d7

This is what mine used to look like.....spoked wheels......ahh the memories :spin2:

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent news.....the V5 has arrived and so the fears I had about someone laying claim to the bike are over which is a relief as I listened to the voice of reason (her indoors) who suggested that I didn't go spending loads of money on something that someone else could potentially have claim to.

The SORN has arrived too.....let the refurbishment begin!