Yamaha XS250 1978

Unk
This post is 2759 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Same seller is selling a set of exhausts too but wont ship to the UK......I guess I just have to bide my time

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So front end is now pretty much stripped....once i have the engine out I can remove the wheels as I wont need to keep moving it out of the way of the other bikes.

The thing that I am finding a little overwhelming is the prospect of having to re-install the wiring loom as it all looks a pretty tight fit.....any advice on that point is welcome....

Strippedfrontend241014_zps1f4c8437.jpg

Strippedfronend241014_zps18fc2bd4.jpg

• Like 1

I got an official Yam manual and It has the routing on it.

746b3bca.jpg

347154a6.jpg

c3881125.jpg

I also have an NOS Motad 2 in 1 ;)

Take lots of photos before you dismantle anything they'll be invaluable later down the line when you cant remember what went where. Als use those sealed polythene bags, they come in lots of sizes as you know and are great for keeping various related parts together and identified

• Like 1

Take lots of photos before you dismantle anything they'll be invaluable later down the line when you cant remember what went where. Als use those sealed polythene bags, they come in lots of sizes as you know and are great for keeping various related parts together and identified

I concur

Excellent Drewpy thanks very much.....perhaps I can get a physical photocopy of that at some point....save dragging the computer out into the garage.....

I reckon I'll have the engine out tomorrow.....then the fun begins....

Sorry to hear he won't ship to uk, I get a lot of parts from Germany on ebay. most sellers will post once you contact them.

its worth keeping a eye on other ebay site's. I get more from abroad than here

Excellent Drewpy thanks very much.....perhaps I can get a physical photocopy of that at some point....save dragging the computer out into the garage.....

I reckon I'll have the engine out tomorrow.....then the fun begins....

there are devices called printers, they produce a great facsimile of a picture on your computer ;)

• Like 1

So tonight's excursion into the garage saw the battery box removed and I am pleased to say it is in sound condition. The front half of the rear mudguard and various electrical items. The engine will be drained of oil/sludge/solids tomorrow and removed from the bike.

IMG_1404_zps2b984dde.jpg

IMG_1403_zps842237b4.jpg

IMG_1401_zpse7714164.jpg

I dunno, this forum can lead to some dark places, just ask obrien about his wonky feet! :P

The only dark place on this forum is the mind of the Foamy one[emoji12]

Cracking day in the garage and enjoying the strangely mild autumnal weather. Managed to get a load done. It was amazing how all of a sudden, after feeling like I had hit a plateau, it all came together (or apart) so quickly. Before I knew it the engine was out, the wheels removed and the frame in a state of nakedness.

IMG_1410_zps73f66d5d.jpg

IMG_1411_zps1c8af3bc.jpg

IMG_1414_zpsa41b2806.jpg

IMG_1416_zps8ea496e9.jpg

IMG_1420_zps859c75ce.jpg

IMG_1421_zps9ef5314f.jpg

And so now the engine strip down begins....

engines are my fave part of resto.

lots of polishing to do on these or take the easier route and paint.

got a bit of spare gears etc

So today the engine strip down got under way in earnest. Everything has gone pretty smoothly and I am pleasantly suprised so far by the condition of the components I have removed. I had a tough time getting the Alternator Rotor to leave the shaft but patience paid off in the end (well that and a little assistance from a motorcycle mechanic mate of mine called John Wynne)

The break down progressed well again once I had overcome that issue.....until I got to the dome shaped screw on the gear selector (one of four but two dome shaped)The Haynes manual warns that these are tight and that they may round off if you're not careful. They were tight. I used an impact driver on three and they came away without too much resistance....the fourth is a different matter. The block of wood I had used to prevent the engine moving had slipped and as I struck the driver the engine moved and the driver head spun in the screw.....rounding it....a few anglo saxon expletives later and I decided to call it a day and have another go tomorrow. Any idea's on how to overcome this would be well received....will using heat assist in the removal........help!!!!!!

A few pictures of today's progress

IMG_1423_zps6003cd01.jpg

IMG_1425_zpsf1f12e4e.jpg

IMG_1426_zpsf7d06d97.jpg

IMG_1429_zps963eafa3.jpg

heat will help, sawing a slot for a flat blade screwdriver will help, at worst, drill the head off the screw and when the component is removed you can get a grip of the screw shaft with mole grips

I sometimes grasp the outer edge of the scew with those gland plier type wrenches and rock the screw back and forth to free it

Access is very limited mate......very limited.