Yamaha XS250 1978

Unk
This post is 2753 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You are correct Tommy. Although I wish it was different, as I bought my xs250cw (the one with the bigger tank) and loved the look of it and for the first few months it was love.....Then it all went wrong

Unk....Sorry to sound harsh mate, no personnel offence was meant

You are correct Tommy. Although I wish it was different, as I bought my xs250cw (the one with the bigger tank) and loved the look of it and for the first few months it was love.....Then it all went wrong

Unk....Sorry to sound harsh mate, no personnel offence was meant

Jimmy....no personal offence taken mate.....you'd have to try a lot harder then that to upset me :-)

Maybe its one I'll later regret but you live and learn as they say......now.....where I can I find a seat?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have empathy here for you - I've been spending the last six weeks getting an identical one back on the road. It did arrive in much better nick, but has needed some work internally. I have been trying to keep to a limited budget (I agree with some of the comments above about spending...), but I have started to have thoughts about a café racer style makeover once it is running properly. Good luck with the project!

just wish it was in better nick myself unk...looks a bit of a money pit to me, hope you dont spend lots on it and then give up with an unfinished project...It'll never be worth anything like what you're gonna spend on it

should have gone to specsavers :P

I think it needed a bl**dy good wash to be honest......yes there is quite a bit of work to be done but I really believe most of that is of a cosmetic nature.....if push comes to shove I'll get it roadworthy, keep its 'patina' and ride the backside off it like I used to....all 75mph of it.

I'd just like to give the old girl another chance :-)

• Like 2

I never got the 4 stroke thing back in the 70"s , they were dire bloody things, :eusa_snooty: as I said before "there was a XS400 sat in our Yam dealers window for years, while the Rd"s were bought as they came out the crate,

So if they werna desirable then " the price"s now will never cover a resto.

good on yeh for saving her :eusa_clap: , I like the colour.

And I see you got your R1 nicked,, dam :sigh2:

I never got the 4 stroke thing back in the 70"s , they were dire bloody things, :eusa_snooty: as I said before "there was a XS400 sat in our Yam dealers window for years, while the Rd"s were bought as they came out the crate,

So if they werna desirable then " the price"s now will never cover a resto.

good on yeh for saving her :eusa_clap: , I like the colour.

And I see you got your R1 nicked,, dam :sigh2:

yes John its only now you've grown up that you realize how much better they are :razz:

• Like 2

If you had a R1 and can settle for a xs 250 then giver shit and do it,one mans dream should never be crushed ,,money dies with you as far as I care. Spend it while you can.

One thing for sure is that many a xs 250 will still be running around when most r1's +- 15yr's old are long dead,not from poor build quality, but, they do tend to kill people and themself's,just plain hard to not beat the crap out of a r1 and lots of people buy them who shouldn't. Law of averages.

Not difficult to see why a new seat pan is required

TopView_zpse0caf986.jpg

Sideview_zps8ebf6cdd.jpg

Sideviewofcorrosion_zps3c5c9cb3.jpg

Tell me more mate........never learnt how to weld and wouldnt know the correct size now as nowt to compare it too

looks mostly there, just a few scraggy edges

.As for welding, I just did it and learned from there. why not cut out the metal and give to someone to weld up?

As Drewpy says just a few raggety edges, get your angle grinder out and chop off the crusty bits then rebuild it with some fresh metal, welding isn't a dark art it just takes practice so beg borrow or steal one and have at it.

That's a possibility Tommy XS.....I have translated the page and find he only ships to Germany...will send a message anyway....cheers for that