Dragstar 125 rebuild

SebE14
This post is 3403 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is my first bike, bought it 18 months ago, real beauty, use it for work commute in London.

After a year, felt it was time to change a few things, total newb to rebuilds. No skills so no chance to replicate some of the amazing mods dedicated people in this forum are doing on their bikes...

My bike must have been running lean(?) as the temp was enough to eat away at the exhaust in the back pot, clutch needed changing (difficult to find neutral) and a few other things.

Was I correct to assume it was running lean?

Here are a few photos with some of the parts and compare to original. Not worried about resale value and original condition... Much...

Changes:

New BSM V line exhaust

New clutch

New spark plugs

New filters all around

New gaskets and oil seals

New forks seals plus oil change

New clutch and brake cable

New brake shoes back and front

Carb rejected from 90 main jet to 97.5 to accommodate for the exhaust

Struggling to identify what the neutral switch should be cabled to (?)

Ready to eat humble pie if I have done a horrible job, fire away chaps!f01322ca5e546194e0248fadb81c5368.jpgca4dce192207d0f036e0959bd16bb079.jpg09e6abd2c0517e926ab04945b1bce556.jpgde2bbb004efcafab5e74fa53265d3293.jpgbb284f3704f56dffdbd055b8edf20136.jpg42b1642ab505453ad394c7da8032695b.jpg967de51c039c2f93f6793f0c406dc752.jpg

And the original

b84058bff96275ad39d550bc912842e8.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks fine to me Seb, if your happy with it then that's all that matters, we all like different things so if your into rat bikes or classics doesn't matter cos all those who ride 2 wheels are welcome here. Nice job on the paint work mate looks very neat. As to where things are attached to you need to read the manual as that should tell you where all the various wires and cables should be routed and attached. One suggestion tho, next time you rest it on that hunk of concrete put something under the frame so as not to scratch the paint off as that is where the rust will start.

Looking good mate but then I love black and chrome, can I suggest that next time you do a rebuild take lots of photo's before you rip it apart, then you got something to refer to if needed when rebuilding.

Yer looks like thats going to be a good lookng 125 once finished.

Struggling to identify what the neutral switch should be cabled to (?)

The great thing about these Yams and many other Jap bikes is that the wires all have a corrisponding male and female plug so they only go in one plug no way of messing that up unless they have been cut off.

Hard put will be if you haven't set the clutch up properly and when you go to ride away you have no bitting point :eusa_shifty::eusa_whistle:

O and one more thing, you need to ditch them indicators, they let the whole thing down in my opinion.

Wow i really like the MATT effect that bike has it goes really well, Nice work mate keep it up

Thank you all for the suggestions, really helpful.

Re indicators, I was looking at bullet indicators the other day.

An update on the build, Pipes installed and managed to get it started.

I think my vacuum pump is gone, I have opened it and cleaned the gunk inside. Upon putting back together, I believe the seal is not 100%.

042204bd8d880b579310f4bbd75d8b13.jpg

• 1 month later...

Re check that the timing chains are lined up properly, turn her to top dead center and remove the side covers to see the cam chains and check to see if the dot on the cam sproket lines up with the notch on the head

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online