Soggy electrics

Tommy xs
This post is 3482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This year at Squires it was a bit wet to say the least and after my bike running pretty well all day, I got back to camp Packed up my gear (20 mins max) said my goodbyes and was off home well that's what I thought! I didn't even get half a mile & she packed in. at first I thought I'd run out of fuel so I rang Drewpy for help within a few minutes Blackhat & Drew arrived to rescue me but it turned out to be water in the ecu & connections. we managed to get it going again & I headed home only to find my top speed was around 30 mph and over hills was a lot less than that it took me over 3 hours to get to Manchester after doing a Kev (getting lost) when she finally dried out and I took the motorway the rest of the way home, anyway I think I've managed to cure the problem with a rubber glove fitted over the ecu & connections. the question is, is there any chance of it overheating, Ive not covered the regulator as I know this needs ventalation hence the cooling fins and the ecu is supposed to a sealed unit anyway so has anyone else had this problem & know any other remedies?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't think CDI generates much heat tommo, its in a bad place,,, below the seat would be better,,

Don't think CDI generates much heat tommo, its in a bad place,,, below the seat would be better,,

yeah it's not ideal but to move it means botching the wiring so even more connections to worry about

Marine silicone on the back of the plugs and a smear if KY Jelly around where it slots in (giggity)

good tip foams never thought of silicone on the connectors, so I just oose some in were the wires enter the back of the plugs?

Vaseline is old hat now Drewpy all the new boys use KY jelly !!!! :biglaugha:

Don't see why your fix won't work Tommy, as far as I know the ECU only gets warm not hot, what about that ACF50 stuff everyone is always banging on about won't that keep the water out? My ECU has a rubber sock thingy over the end of the ECU but it's pretty limp after 20 odd years so I wrapped a zip tie over the end to keep it in place, could just as easy have used gaffer tape I suppose.

• Like 1

All I do is pack all the connectors with dielectric grease,keeps 100% of the water out, terminals stay clean and corrosion free. Mo less the same as vasoline but made for the job dosent harden over time.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone think I'm going with the vaseline for now as I already have some & I think I might be a bit red faced in the chemist asking for the ky jelly :razz: I will look out for some dielectric grease on ebay, see how stupid the price is then use the vaseline :eusa_shifty:

• Like 1

good tip foams never thought of silicone on the connectors, so I just oose some in were the wires enter :eusa_snooty: the back of the plugs?

Always there or there about you lot,,, :babyha:

Isn't KY water based?

Ah yeah, I forgot :( vaseline would probably be better, although I wouldn't fill the back of the plugs with it as no doubt it has some sort of conductivity, something like the clear bathroom sealant types would be flexible and watertight

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online