Should a carb be run dry if bike is parked?

mcferreira100
This post is 3481 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Always wondered after I was told one should always idle a 2stroke carb dry to prevent gunging up the float valve and jets, unless its used often. If fuel is left in there surely it keeps everything lubricated, but once dry that is when float valves etc. start becoming stuck? Same question for 4strokes. Would like to hear opinions on this.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Think it depends on how long you leave it! If it's just a couple of days then no problem but if, like me, you lay the bike up for the winter then drain the carbs.

yep, drain carbs unless you have the protector stuff in it.

I just bought some oil mist protector which you spray into the carb and over the engine to stop rust.

+1 long storage drain carbs and tank get storage fog and fog the carbs and tank and eng

My boat is a royal pain to get to the carbs to drain so I use fuel stablizer and fog the eng internals never had to have the carbs off thank god it always starts in the spring.

Having just fired up a couple of bikes recently which had been stored for some years, I can most definitely say drain or run the carbs dry. The GS550 was perfect but unfortunately, the GSX750F had sat for some months before running them dry. The GS was perfect but the GSX had a blocked idle jet.

Something gsx's are very fond of my old one did it regular.

As to carb draining. That dates from the 2strokes of yore. The oil didnt mix nearly as well and would drop out over a short while and stop the bike from starting.

General practice was to shut the fuel of as you were stopping then when you hear the revs kick shut it down.

Now we do it cos the fuel life is rubbish.

• Like 1