removal/install drive chain

erbrod
This post is 3482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know what tools I need to replace chain on 82 sr250? bought new chain on ebay but dont know how to install and manual i have doesnt explain. I know i need to break old chain and have a grinder to do that with.also where can i find aftermarket cut off switch and turn signal switch prefereably chrome.?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd try eBay for your switches.

If the 250 is similar to my 125, remove front sprocket cover, loosen rear wheel including swing arm, if the replacement chain has an open link the wheel does not have to be removed. When you join the link, make sure the chain clip's closed end is facing direction of travel. A pair of pliers should be enough to fit the clip. Tighten the rear wheel back up, setting the tensioners so as to give correct slack (remember that the chain will tighten when you sit on the bike) and then tighten the swing arm. Refit front sprocket cover and lube the chain. Tools will probably be no more than a socket set, pliers and a screwdriver. At least that is all I use for mine.

As Andrew says it's easy, have you ever owned a push bike? cos changing the chain on your bike will be the same as that if it has a split link.

thanks the new chain is linked so i will have to remove the wheel after all. I've never had to change a chain on any push bike but i see your point. I imagine it cant be too complicated however getting proper tension will be tricky since i am not familiar with what to do if it is not tight enough. as for the switches do i have to buy original or can i buy switch made for other bikes for example i found a start/kill switch for a harley its chrome and will look sweet on my bike better than the oem but i dont know if i can do that.

The harley switch wont fit as they use 1' bars yours are 7/8. if the chain is endless as in it's all one loop then you will have to remove the swing arm from the frame,or split the chain and get a split link make sure it has the same # of links.

If you do a utube search you will find lots of vids

thanks so is it possible to install any 7/8 start kill switch? because all the ones i see for the 82 sr250 are used and abused.

I could be wrong but I didn't think the swing arm needs to be removed on the sr250 for the wheel to come off

. Adjusting the tension is via 2 adjusters:

3b4d5bd9252504740bc3f1548b073322.jpg

Make sure both sides are set to the same notch. Usually 20-30mm slack is needed on the chain but as DT says above do a YouTube search. I'm sure there'll be a vid on there somewhere. You'd also be well advised to get a manual for your bike.

Elvis some chains come assembled no split link,peened rivets so inorder to install you have to pull the swing arm. off.I doubt a ebay chain is a exact fit and will need links removed but erbrod is kind vauge about it.

You switch housing is mettal on a 82 just polish it or paint it, where you will run into problems is that the throttle cable is different from bike to bike so it wont fit in anyold housing.

Yeah - just looked at mine in daylight and there's no way the chain would come off without removing the swing arm!

He says he has a grinder to remove the old, but hasn't said what type of chain he's bought.

don't matter what chain he has , if it's a continuous chain you just twat it with a ball pein hammer. :smash:

don't matter what chain he has , if it's a continuous chain you just twat it with a ball pein hammer. :smash:

Lmao yep thats how many a thing get fixed by thoes who dont know how to fix it right,, NSD I wouldn't piss about pulling the swing arm off a 1982 I would go your route... he hasen't come back anyway 1hw me thinks

Dropping the swingarm is the best way as links are weak and the chain wears quicker at that point. Once you have the swingarm spindle out you just lower the pivot slip the chain over and refit. I find its quicker as well.

the chain i bought on ebay is linked. I think i will have to remove wheel and swingarm to install it Tonight i will be doing this and hope fully it is the right size if too long then i can use the breaker riveting tool kit i found on ebay. It didnt come with instructions so hopefully i can figure it out. I want to thank all of you for your input this is my first time messing with this and i am having fun but i want to get it done right because i use this bike all the time.

the chain is a 520 120 link heavy duty according to seller it fits 82 sr250 is there anything else i need to do when i replace the chain?

Only other thing I'd recommend you do, as you don't have a manual, is take pics of everything before you remove so you know which order spacers, washers etc go!

Good luck with that swing arm bolt, I would cut off old chain , and split link the 520, its a 250 ,[ 4stroke = 18 bhp] job done 15mins,, :eusa_whistle:

• Like 2

I'm with john here. A 250 single 4T hardly going to pull the skin off a rice pudding

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online