Rejetting an XVS1100

Motorhate
This post is 3364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I finally got the rectifier fixed on the bike, long story for another thread. Anyway, i've noticed since I got it, it runs really hot, has trouble idling sometimes and also the chrome custom pipes are discoloured to a goldeb colour. This, and it also pops when deceleration takes place. I was told that the bike had been rejetted but either it hasn't or its been done wrong, so I'm going to get it done. Trouble is, I don't know what pipes mine are. They long shotgun types with no makers name. Any idea what kit I should get and what stage jets I should fit? I've got my eye on a Vance and Hines kit for around 70 quid.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't Vance and Hines give info on what jets to use with their pipes? I thought they did. As for the popping on the overrun that usually means your putting unburnt fuel into the exhaust so your running rich. Least that's what I think anyway. Have you checked your spark? how bright is it for instance and how powerful, you might have a coil on the way out and that would leave fuel in the exhaust phase and explaine the tick over problem. As for running hot then that could be the timing is off as well so again popping on the downshift. Rebalance the carbs and check your timing that might be a cheap fix.

V&H probably do, but I don't know what make the exhaust is. The bike supposedly had a service a while back but i don't oniw if the timing and valve clearances.were done. I'll check out your suggestions and see if that makes a difference.

A simple test is to remove air box lid/cover or block it off with tape makling it lean or richer,then you can just buy jets(5 bucks) and do some trial and error,generaly speaking 1 main jet size up is enough to correct for pipes and adjusting the pilot screw.Smoetimes just raising the needle is enough.

The colour of the spark plug tells alot too white lean black rich.

If you pipes don't say V&H some where then they aren't V&H and buying a kit from them is not a guarenty fix.

Thanks for the input fellas. I managed to find a possible culprit after taking off the air filer housing (hypercharge). One of the small hoses has split so I repaired that and there's a bit of an improvement in tickover, however, the popping is still there. I'll wait before I re-jet and see if a simple balance and mess around with the air screw makes any difference. Also the timing may need to be looked at as well. Once again, thanks for the input.

Open pipes all tend to pop on the over run as air gets sucked in when decelerating, getting the fueling better will help but unless you have a baffle they all pop a bit.

I would have a look and see what has been done to carbs and check against the standard settings, most people think they have to fit a larger main jet which isn't the case, as said before just moving the needle is enough.

Well fellas, before I looked at the carbs, I found that whatever clown had this bike before me fitted pipes that don't fit to the engine block 100% and there's a tiny series of holes around the gasket where its at the wrong angle. That means either there's air getting in (which is more than likely the case and causing the pops) or the carbs do indeed need doing. I personally think its the pipes. I was going to try and bodge it with thicker gaskets but out of curiosity I tried looking at complete systems for a 2001 XVS1100 Custom and couldn't find any in the UK. Most were either slip-ons or systems that required at least one factory down-pipe fitted. I don't have the factory down pipes as they never came with the bike. Any ideas where I can at least get a price of a complete exhaust system, preferablly short shorts or slash-cut style?

• 3 months later...

I finally got the rectifier fixed on the bike, long story for another thread. Anyway, i've noticed since I got it, it runs really hot, has trouble idling sometimes and also the chrome custom pipes are discoloured to a goldeb colour. This, and it also pops when deceleration takes place. I was told that the bike had been rejetted but either it hasn't or its been done wrong, so I'm going to get it done. Trouble is, I don't know what pipes mine are. They long shotgun types with no makers name. Any idea what kit I should get and what stage jets I should fit? I've got my eye on a Vance and Hines kit for around 70 quid.

without going into a lengthy discussion on how exhaust pipes work, It sounds like its running to lean, this is because of a lack of sufficient back pressure, if its running to lean it will burn the valves and also burn the pipes as you have described, to overcome this you need to increase the main jet size. "Now the experimenting starts", I had to go up 5 sizes before I got mine to run properly, (2000 1100 drag). also make sure the rear main jet is a couple of sizes bigger than the front, this is because the rear cylinder runs hotter so requires more fuel (you will notice this when you take the main jets out), when you have got it right the carbs will need balancing. I fitted straight through slash cuts to mine and had to re jet it as i have described, they have been on it two years now and it runs perfectly with no pipe discolouration, and the spark plugs are always the right colour. oh, by the way, the popping on deceleration is unavoidable with open pipes, again, because of no back pressure, you will have to live with that if you want load pipes. main jets cost about £2 each so its a cheap fix.

Thanks for the advice mate. I've decided on a set of Pacific Coast Thugstar Extreme pipes which can be got with a rejetting kit. They much tidier and sound a lot better than the Cobra pipes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online