NEW TO DIVERSION BIKE

groglewis
This post is 3462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I have had my 1998 XJ600S for a couple of months now, generally I am quite pleased to be back on two wheels but have a couple of queries somebody out there may be able to help :-

1) I have posted this before without any luck - the bike has a vibration at 3500 - 4000 rpm (around 50 mph) I took the bike to my local motorcycle repair shop who tinkered round with it by tightening a few bits including the rear axle !! It hasn't made any difference - anybody got any ideas as my journey to work is at 50 mph !!

2) I have managed to get a centre stand for my bike, fitting looks fairly straightforward apart from the beefy spring - any ideas how to assemble the centre stand and the spring without enlisting the help of Schwarzenegger !!

Look forward to your replies

Grog

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi grog, bike vibration is a common fault on divvys but mine usually happens around 4500rpm (60mph)

As for fitting the spring the last time I fitted one I got a longish heavy duty screwdriver put it through the hook on the spring then put the end of the blade over the pivot on centre stand then levered it over. Took a few attempts but got it on in the end.

use a tent peg puller ( T bar with a hook) or someone used a load of 2p pushed into the spring (accessed it gets bent over)

Connect one bolt and nut, leave it loose, then connect the spring, get a mate to hold on to the bike and lever the other side over using the stand itself until you can get the second bolt through, you just have to push away from you until you can see the hole, it's easy and using the stand as a lever is the best way.

Thanks everybody for guidance on fitting the centre stand and spring - very helpful indeed. I shall give it a go this weekend.

Shame about the vibration aspect though - I would have thought this would have been designed out before production - never mind, its still good to be back on two wheels again.

Thanks again to all have shown an interest - Be safe out there

Grog

When you think about it it's no surprise that bikes have vibration problems, you do after all have a great big engine bolted to a metal frame that's a sure recipe to have a vibration problem, some have tried rubber mountings on the engine bolts and others have tried a floating engine arrangement but nothing really works to remove the vibs except proper adjustment of the carbs and timing, if you go to a dealer and start a new bike the vibs are fairly small and barely noticeable thats cos it's been tuned in the factory, it's only when you have ridden it for a while 20 or so years that this can become a problem so almost certainly your vibs are due to poor tuning and wear inside the engine and your best to try to get it back to factory tolerances or sit on a cushion and wrap your hands in a layer of foam. :biglaugha:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online