Full rewire of 1993 DT125R

frodo2014
This post is 3408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

Hopefully you guys can help.....

My DT125R barn find has NO wiring loom at all, so rather than buy one i'm keen to rebuild one from scratch so that i know how to do it / no breaks in the loom etc.

Can anyone provide any guidance such as what gauge wire (5amp / 8amp etc) and what colors i will need?

Im totally useless at wiring diagrams as the one in the haynes manuals looks like total jibberish, so if anyone has a simple guide for wiring up the CDI / Rectifier / ignition / lights.

Hopefully thats not too painful, but i would really appreciate any help!.

Thanks everyone.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you can't read the wiring diagram in the Haynes then I really doubt that you can build a loom, have you ever done this before? It's not something you want to guess at as you will be boiling batteries and blowing bulbs like mad. Best advice buy a scrapper and take the loom off and then sell the parts you don't need, or you could buy a brand new shiny loom from Yamaha I mean that would only cost about twice the price of a new bike after all. Seriously if you haven't done this before think real hard before you do. I wish you luck but like all these things if you have the time and the skill it's easy if you don't then it can soon become a nightmare. Your going to need at least all of the original connectors for the bike or nothing will connect to the bike like the CDI unit - indicators - ignition - charging circuit are just a few of the connectors that you have to have or nothing will fit.

Got to agree with Slice the wireing diagram is the easy way and if you can read it then your allready lost and you neeed the plugs for the cdi and voltage regulator at least,the rest could be wired direct but then you have to re doi it every time you need to remove something,be it for service or replacement not a wise way to go IMO.

One of our members who is quite good at bulding bikes had a night mare trying to get spark going back and forth between parts and wireing and all he was doing was modifing a loom.

Save yourself a lot of greif and find a loom there is one out there somewhere and by the time you buy wire and connectors you wont have saved much vs a used loom,you can then ntest it on the bench and check it befor installing it.

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online