What started your love/passion for bikes? Tell us your story!

captf
This post is 3444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Always liked bikes, remember when I was a kid, all my "cool" Lego characters rode motorbikes, lol!!

Anyway... fast forward to my teenage years and I went for my car licence as soon as I could. No one else in my family rides bikes you see. When I went to college I started riding pillion on my now ex's bikes. We cruised about in all weather on his TW125 (odd bike...), Varadero 125 and Africa Twin. He'd been off-roading all his life and taught me a fair bit.

Anyway, that fuelled my interest and temporarily we acquired a CG125 as a field bike. It didn't last long (completely buggered and we didn't have the money...) A short holiday in Portugal was my only experience of getting up to any "speed" under my own steam on a bike. 'Twas a DT we'd hired to get about and I made it to 4th gear (woot) before stacking it in a ditch, ha ha! I do have the video of that actually and it still makes me laugh...

After that we had an unfortunate accident - someone pulling out from a side road on us. The bloke drove into my knee whilst we were doing 40mph down a single carriageway and the bike landed on my other leg. Was a shock to the system and resulted in an op. We still rode after that but I was naturally shaken on the back.

Time moved by fast after that really. I moved up to Manchester with work, focussed on my career, bought a house and now live down the road from a Snake Pass. Every summer I was in the house I'd find myself running to the window when I heard a bike go past (loser, I know...) so I eventually went for it! Been a whirlwind, got my CBT in August 2012 and full licence in May last year. Absolutely love the adventures, and find my car just sitting there now.

• Like 5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No looser ther Bippo,If I am gardening or anywhere and hear a bike I always try to get a look. Just like titys :hyper: they all make me look.

• Like 7

No looser ther Bippo,If I am gardening or anywhere and hear a bike I always try to get a look. Just like titys :hyper: they all make me look.

+ 1

I completely do that too. It's like the meerkat effect you get in offices, when a pretty girl [or man - who am I to judge?] walks by... (:

Disappointing when it turns out to be a scooter.

[still yet to ride Snake Pass...]

Yes, I spent a fair amount of time sitting in an office of around 80, of which only 9 of us were women. How entertaining we found it when some woman walked in to get IT assistance from another floor. You could literally hear the typing stop and the eyes peer over the desk dividers...!

Snake Pass is fun, as are so many of the roads around the Peak. Feel free to give me a shout if you want a riding partner for those roads.

It does sound like a Manchester area based ride out is needed at some point - there's a few of us over here, I believe.

My housemate goes over snake pass regularly, to visit her boyfriend in Chesterfield. She loves it.

Yes there are a fair few of us on here! A great bunch to hang out with.

lots of bikes in my family growing up, now I'm the only one who still has one. My Dad was my biggest influence although he did try to put me off buying my first bike but that just made me want one more. there's nothing like the freedom of owning your own bike & getting away from it all & that still applies today as long as mrs xs doesn't mind

• Like 1

As a kid in the 60's watching the Mods and Rockers turn up at the fair! From then on it was just waiting out the time till I could get a licence and the money together to buy something.

That happened in June 71, passed test in October 71 and still going! Now on bike number 60!

My dad has always had bikes I remember riding around on the back of his cb 500 when I was 4 years old in the early 80's. Haha imagine doing that nowadays I'd of been put in care and my dad locked up. I had a few bikes when I was a kid little 50's but when I was 12 I started with 125 crossers. Me and my mates always had bikes and we would go to the flappits (now closed down) and take them on fields. I loved the summer holidays. I've had so many different bikes from honda melody's to bultaco's. One of my mates had an rm 250 and the first time i had a go at about 12 it scared the shit out of me haha. It didn't deter me though. When I got into my late teens I lost interest a bit and didn't get the urge again until a few years ago. I went about ten years without owning or riding a bike. My best friend had a bad accident when he was 18. A car drove straight into the side of him. His leg was proper smashed in and fucked up. I went to see him in the hospital and it wasn't nice. Luckily he kept his leg but its full of metal plates and pins and he can never play footie or out again. This really put me off but I got over it. I'll always have a bike on the road now, I love it. Even in the winter haha.

• Like 1

Well I was just about to leave school and had a thing for fixing engines and my Dad got me a Capri for which I was very grateful but I have never been into cars. Anyhow a good mate had 2 FS1E and 1 SS Yamaha which I had been helping him fix over the years and I had a hankering to have one, so a new FS1E-DX was purchased after I sold the Capri which really upset Mom as cars are safer apparently!

You'll like this bit!

2 weeks later I was riding along and what happen an Old Asian man pulled out in front of me and bang the bike was a write off, the car was a Ford Capri but not the same one. The day was Friday 13th!

• Like 1

I came across this photo today it was taken about 21 years ago, we had taken our 3 kids to some local event and there just happened to be a row of HD's there, my youngest was fascinated by them and when the owner saw the look on his face kindly asked if he wanted to sit on it. He has now been riding Harley's since he passed his test some years back.

bikerLuke_zpsc3c567d8.jpeg

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online