Warranty Issue??

Kevinp4966
This post is 3463 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok So I've owned my yam a little over a month now having bought it from brand new. I went out and plugged it into the optimate and noticed half the paint has come off of the bottom of the fork leg where where the wheel spindle bolts through. I'm pretty pissed about that, is that a warranty issue or wear and tear at 577miles.

I'd say it's poor quality of finish.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's in for service on monday but I'm going to get them to sort it. So far I'll have to be honest I'm not impressed by the quality control. Bloody odd levers, 1 is matte the other glossy "that's how they come", the gearbox can be temperamental "typical Yamaha", sometimes struggles to start when it's cold and wet "connect it to an optimate it'll condition the battery.." It's putting out 13.4 volts which is fine and it still is taking about 5 seconds to start it on the button.... Maybe I'm inpatient where that's concerened but I'd expect it to be almost instantly...

On the upside though the ride quality and engine are fantastic all things considered....

Ohh also I can't reset my trip and fuel consumption read out.... Apparently I'm doing 99.99 MPG all the time..... Even instantaneous FC without the engine running....

I'm probably being overly picky here but I spent a lot of my hard earned money on the bike, I expect it to be faultless.

Make a list of all the faults, hand it to them, and tell them you want them all fixed before you pick it up. Don't worry about the warranty, the Sale of goods act says you can and if they don't fix them then you can reject the bike for a full refund.

I had this sort problem with a dealer. I said really "I'll have a word with Yamaha direct" and amazingly it got sorted!

• Like 1

Gearboxes need a few thousand miles before they improve - unless it's a Honda and they are always clunky. The bike should not need to go anywhere near an optimiser at a month old. I have had my latest bike since January and it has not been plugged in to an optimiser. I haven't even put the optimiser lead on to the battery yet.

The bike should not need to go anywhere near an optimiser at a month old. I have had my latest bike since January and it has not been plugged in to an optimiser. I haven't even put the optimiser lead on to the battery yet.

Same here and mine's Italian!

At 577 it's going in for it's first service and all issues you have,,complain about them ,as DDT said make a list .

Take pictuers of you bike very good ones and note any scratches they might put on it when servicing,and befor you take the bike back inspect it closely. They are professionals but human and things happen.

Your tranny will smoth out in time 5 second start from cold not a big deal,once warmed up though thats not right. If your using the bike daily then you should never need a optimiser,only time mine gets used is when the bike go sleepy for the winter.

Well it's going to be cleaned Friday before I take it to Webb's for servicing on Monday (it's covered in mud looks like I went off roading with it... Love those wet fen roads)

Will take pictures after it's been detailed.... Friday's going to be one long ass day.

Edit: just a Quicky off topic should I be blipping the throttle on a downshift or just slip the clutch out???

Wouldn't even crank this morning for work. I'm going to raise hell on Monday. Disabled the alarm, put the key in turned the ignition on, hit the starter button it cranked once, the dash went out and the electrics went haywire...

After 4 attempts it finally cranked but wouldn't fire, 5th attempt it eventually fired.

Actually I'm off tomorrow it's going back and they can sort it out or I'll take my money to Honda.

Start by taking your money to another Yamaha dealer, if indeed there is one nearby.

At the end of the day, brand doesn't matter - These are still just franchised dealers.

Some can be very good while others are just rip-off cocksmokers and there's no guarantee a Honda one wouldn't be just the same.

There are no others in the area unfortunately. I'm not trying to be funny but I shouldn't be having problems with a brand new bike. Just on break and again it's refusing to start, borrowed my bosses test kit and it's putting out the right current to start. It's just not doing anything.

I'm not trying to be funny but I shouldn't be having problems with a brand new bike.

No you shouldn't, which is why we're advising hammering the dealer if they give you any bullshit.

Might be you just happened to get the one that slipped through QA, but whatever it is the dealer should be making sure that bike is *perfect*... assuming it was brand spanking new and is not an ex-demo or anything, that you're aware of?

It was brand spanking new out of the crate. I'm not impressed. It messes about when the weather is cold but it's fine the rest of the time. I'll be giving Webb's Yamaha a kicking tomorrow.

Yep be nice and tell them how disapointed you are and would like some compensation,you might get a new lid,free service ect.. if your persistant.They didn't build it and dont have a crystial ball to know it would be a problem,but if they want repeat bussines from you then they will do something to make you happy if not then you have options.

Good luck and hope you come out happy,I would be pissed off too

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted (apparently) got it back from the workshop, they fixed the electrics, serviced it.. got it back with the fairing covered in oil though!! Complained about that and got the service for free too. Got it home, cleaned it looking sweet again... Only problem is it didn't want to start yesterday outside work!! I'm starting to think it doesn't like supermarket fuel!? Next fill up will be BP see if that sorts it out.

Bikes can have different ways of starting. Some like throttle and some don't

If the bike is fuel injection just turn the key and push the starter.