Quick Reminder Dont Forget!!!

sniff6
This post is 3501 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When selling a bike the new owner will not have any road tax, so is the seller liable for prosecution if not taken on a trailer?

Surely if you have an actual TAX DISC on the bike it's taxed? It's only not taxed if there is no disc shown or have I got that wrong? After the disc runs out then you obviously can't call it taxed but up till then it's taxed. Or not. My head hurts going to lie down!

When selling a bike the new owner will not have any road tax, so is the seller liable for prosecution if not taken on a trailer?

This is what the .gov.uk website has to say on the subject :
What this means to you
To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax and DVLA will still send you a V11 renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax or have a nil rate of Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).
Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.
You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0300 123 4321.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch..036
DVLA are unable to check the vehicle insurance details for new keepers in Northern Ireland online or by phone. If you’re a Northern Ireland new keeper, you will need to tax at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.
Selling a vehicle
If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax. The refund will be sent to the name and address details held on DVLA
The buyer would be guilty of the offence. However the DVLA database won't be updated until the paper V5 lands in Swansea and so will show the vehicle as still taxed (under the prior keepers details) so the plate won't be pinged by ANPR cameras. In reality you'll have a couple of days to get it sorted - unless you get stopped for another reason and the diligent traffic officer does a bit of delving. Armed with a smartphone and credit card you can tax it online at the time of purchase anyway.

SO let me see if I have this right. I cancel the tax say on the 15th of the month, I lose that month or 15 days tax, YES? The new keeper has to buy tax from the 1st of the month which is 15 days earlier so he also loses 15 days tax BUT the GOVT gets 2 months tax payment for a vehicle that was already taxed in the first place by me, is that right? Why am I not surprised that the Scots want to get rid of these robbing sod's !!

Oh and they say it will also save them money on not issuing tax discs as well so that's ok then, I and every other seller or buyer are the only ones who lose out that's ok as well I suppose !!!!!

BASTARDS !!!

All we have to do is buy/sell our bikes on the first of the month....oh and do the transaction outside a Post Office so we can ride off on our new toy :eusa_think::eusa_think:

you can only claim a full months tax back as it already is , so no change there.

one issue at the moment is i can sell a bike/car with 12 month tax , then claim it back , the buyer is left with a tax disc that is worthless and im quids in.

Its a big load of bollocks and the only one gettin gany thing out of it is the tax man, i still think that we should celibrate the 5th of November the proper way as Mr Guy Fawkes wanted it to happen

From January 2015 I think there will be an option to tax by monthly direct debit. It'll save having to claim the tax back as you're only taxed one month at a time.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online