Yammy dt 125 electrical problems

YummyYammyLover
This post is 3462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all new here, I've posted in the new member area and am in need of help with the wiring on my dt 125.

Some info on the bike;

2002 yamaha dt 125 frame

2006 yamaha dt 125 engine with a Athena 180 bore kit

Now the electrics I believe to be a 2004 wiring loom but not 100% sure as I didn't buy the loom it was on the bike when I got it

Also the bike has no lights or clocks at the min so making it harder for me to work out I've tried looking at wiring diagrams but can't seem to figure it out as also I don't know if it's a dtr or store or what f*****g dt for that matter the loom is from :( please someone help me

So I need help with the wiring as to what the cables are for and where they go?

Hopefully the pics load lol

imagejpg4_zps4ed78ec8.jpg

So this is the wiring at the min

imagejpg8_zps4e7a4536.jpg

Right don't mean to sound stupid but is this a battery terminal or is it the earth, as there is a earth wire coming from the engine casing being ground to the bottom of the engine. Also there isn't a red connector for the battery

imagejpg10_zps3e092385.jpg

What's this little red connector for should the two wires be connected or what have they shorted out? If so what are they for?

imagejpg7_zps2f3bd643.jpg

imagejpg6_zps8a0d4d44.jpg

I believe this is for the PV servo please correct me if I'm wrong here...

imagejpg3_zpse411afc3.jpg

Don't even have a clue what this is for, not even go into take a guess lol

imagejpg2_zps8377a9e9.jpg

The top two wires have been cut and wound together, can someone tell me what they are actually for?

imagejpg5_zps7d73e077.jpg

What's this for also is the red/white wore that's been cut needed or is it just a random connector they have added?

Sorry for asking so much it's just this is my first time doing anything at all with electrics and basically all I can do is wire a plug lol so any help welcome and thanks in advance for any given

George YYL

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good news is that the pics have loaded! Hopefully someone else one here may be able to help you out with what the wires are for! I can just about work out what my wires are on my SR with everything connected!

Have you tried searching YouTube for vid's?

• Like 1

Yeah I've searched all over on YouTube and the internet all that comes up is diagrams, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I don't know if I'm wording it wrong but I just can find it anywhere

My advice, buy a second hand loom that's complete and replace the horrible hunk of junk that you have now, then at least you have a running start to work from, at the moment your have what can only be described as a total f**king waste if time. Should cost about £30 for an old loom that hasn't been chopped to bit's, then you can connect the right wires up and what you have left over can be traced using the wiring diagram in the manual. Did this with the XJ and took about 1/2 the time that messing about with someone else's horror story would have taken, there are to many gorillas out there that think they know how to fit wiring and about 1 in a 1000 actually get it right without boiling their battery or frying the bulbs.

My advise anyway some no doubt will disagree.

• Like 1

My advice, buy a second hand loom that's complete and replace the horrible hunk of junk that you have now, then at least you have a running start to work from, at the moment your have what can only be described as a total f**king waste if time. Should cost about £30 for an old loom that hasn't been chopped to bit's, then you can connect the right wires up and what you have left over can be traced using the wiring diagram in the manual. Did this with the XJ and took about 1/2 the time that messing about with someone else's horror story would have taken, there are to many gorillas out there that think they know how to fit wiring and about 1 in a 1000 actually get it right without boiling their battery or frying the bulbs.

My advise anyway some no doubt will disagree.

Couldn't agree more slice, used to work in the wiring game years ago ( bit more complected than bike looms) and I wouldn't touch that loom with a f***king barge pole, that's not a loom that's a piece of shit, yummy if you don't know what your doing don't waste you time get a second hand one mate.

Thanks guys, was debating getting a new one but I'm defo getting one now cba with trying to fix this piece of s**t wiring, luckily I know someone who can fit it for me at a local garage as I have aftermarket lights and so on so some connectors will need changing, don't want to bodge the bike as will be used daily and don't want to break down in the middle of no where when I go riding. Thanks for the input

As above keep the old wiring if for nothing else than it comes in handy for spare bit's of wire that you might need to replace for some reason and it's always nice to have the correct type and colour available, plus the advantage of fitting a newish loom is that if you have time you can take one off and replace it as you go rather than just pulling everything off and trying to remember where the old wires went, do it yourself rather than pay someone to do it as that way not only do you know that it's right you have bragging rights over those who are to chicken shit to even try.

Also. Wiring diagrams and bought looms may not be complete. There will be small links and sub looms that may be missing or different. The different pv set ups as example.

Keep everything you have for now. Decide on a spec for you electrics. Be it 2002 or 2006. Then stick to it.

I have done a few looms for my own bikes and once you can understand how they work they are very simple.

You have 2 basic lines. Generator fed and battery fed. Ac and dc if you like. At least figure that and it will be much easier to understand a drawing.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I'll be buying 2006 battery fed loom for it so it matches the engine. Also does anyone know if anywhere makes the looms new or can they only been found second hand ?

I made my own loom for the DT50, cost about £25 in materials from Conrad and a few evenings to put it all together.

Otherwise breakers are the best way, be wary of buying from overseas as they are often wired differently according to local laws.

You can buy anything if you have enough money I suppose but why would you want to? If there are spare looms off of breaker bikes out there for £30 odd then why pay £150 for a new one? Your choice of course but your throwing money away if you go down that route. One thing to remember is to check EVERY wire from end to end with a multimeter before you fit it as finding a broken wire once it's all wired up is a pain in the arse to find and repair, much easier if you can do it on a worktop or bench.

I would rather buy a second hand one but I can't find any for my year of bike (2006) what should I be looking for dtr or dtre wiring? Also is a harness and a loom the same thing just worded differently ? Thanks for the help everyone

YYL

I think the USA call it a wiring harness and the UK call it a loom, but there are some sub harnesses on most bikes, these are small groups of wires that connect to the main loom from various parts of the bike, for instance the rear lights and indicators could be called a sub loon in that they connect to the loom also the reg/rectifier have a small plug that connects to the loom so that could also be called a sub loom I suppose. Hope that makes it a bit clearer?

Thanks again slice and yeah I understood about sub looms just wondered if a harness and a loom was different as too which to buy if they were, also does this look right too you? 4B09FE2D-362A-4D1B-9052-1F3CF5449D65_zps

also the previous owner must have been more clue less about bikes than me as he used a paper/cardboard type material as a gasket which is now all soggy and broken up , so can I use gasket paper to replace it or will I need to buy a gasket set?

Also would a dt 50 wiring loom fit the 125? If they are boh the same year? I don't kind changing a few connectors here and there but just don't understand making a new loom from scratch, as long as I know which connectors to cut and change I'll be fine

Thanks george

• 3 weeks later...

If your still having the problem i have a wiring loom unbroken for sale on ebay at the moment

But to be honest that shouldn't be to hard to sort out

I have a haynes manual if you would like a wiring diagram i could scan it

All the best

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online