Petrol Preferences

Nathan0834
This post is 3509 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, random question and something I haven't even thought about before, but do you guys spend the extra on the premium stuff. If so, any brand preference? Any Brands to avoid?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I normally use premium as I find it about 10% more efficient. BP is my preferred for both my car and bike. I find the fuel from places like Asda not as friendly.

I use the cheapest I can find petrol for the bike,diesel for the car, have tried the dearer fuels and found no difference, I'd use paraffin but it don't burn so well.

+1

Depends on your bike.

If you ride a commuter. An fj or the like it will make little difference apart from removing the ethanol risk.

But if you ride something sensitive to mixture like my TDR250 the the difference is very obvious. My bike runs cooler an smother on the posh stuff.

The truck burns whatever diesel is cheapest (straight veg oil 50:50 in summer) and premium unleaded in the bikes even the DT50

Veg oil?

Veg oil?

Yeh Andrew, :yeah: the guy Diesel [ Frenchman] first used peanut oil. it combusts under compression , . I"v used 100% cooking oil before,

in warm weather, but not in cold weather, it clouds . [thickens]

Might just give it a go. I'd heard of it before, just assumed it needed a different timing for it to work properly.

Might just give it a go. I'd heard of it before, just assumed it needed a different timing for it to work properly.

Be carefull andre" :eusa_think: our engines are older Direct injection, yours will be Common Rail. I would be wary , as you may need recoverd .

As modern systems have sensors , and might shut down if correct viscosity is not used, :eusa_snooty:

Be carefull andre" :eusa_think: our engines are older Direct injection, yours will be Common Rail. I would be wary , as you may need recoverd .

As modern systems have sensors , and might shut down if correct viscosity is not used, :eusa_snooty:

Maybe not then! Cheers John :)

I am using a mixture in DT 250 the now, all the drums of petrol/diesel that's been sucked out of cars, :eusa_doh: it runs ok but smoke a little,,

local scrap yard does a sale on sat mornings old filtered fuel , can't see a difference at forty pence a ltr who gives a toss.

I knew a guy that had an arrangement with his local chippy, he took all their old cooking oil away, had some kind of filter setup in his shed to filter out all the crap and used it in his old truck, smelled a bit funny but worked OK. Unfortunately for him the chippy shut down and he had to start buying diesel again. last I heard he was looking for a new source of used cooking oil.

• Like 1

we have a company in Bolton who filter and mix bio diesel. tried to buy the stuff but they only sell to companies.

I use either Shell V power or BP ultimate, I prefer the Shell but it depends on what stage I am on the 100 mile (round trip) daily commute. I have a BP garage 21 miles from the house another about 26 miles (half way between home and work) and then the Shell garage which is about 12 miles from the office. If I plan far enough ahead I could always take a different motorway home and stop off at another Shell garage which is about 9 miles from the house.

I find that they both give better mpg than regular but I think shell is a little better. I also think that the bike has less vibration and rides better when using these over regular, and again I think the shell slightly edges it. This could all be completely in my head and there is actually no difference lol.

An fj or the like it will make little difference apart from removing the ethanol risk.

Owning an FJ myself, I insist on the premium. I do believe I get slightly better mpg as well, depending on type of journey.

I favour BP and Shell where possible.

I use the posh stuff in the bike, even add in a shot of whisky for the extra 5hp if im feeling nice to her.

The car i try to run on dust, road kill and the odd annoying fuck whit kids that doss around the local lamp post

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online