'76 Yamaha v50

Callyspoy
This post is 1836 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks!

Very new to the forum, but i am trying to find some information on these silly little bikes!

I bought the bike last year to have a bit of fun with but have only just had a chance to get on with it (baby, daily use bike stolen and torched, house move, normal excuses!).

The bike had been off the road since '88, previous owner had put a new piston in it and started it via gravity fed fuel line.

The tank was completely thick with sludge and the fuel tap knackered.

So i cleaned out the tank and bought a new tap, stripped the carb and adjusted it, cleaned out the oil pump and she fired straight away, crazy stuff!

It is a 3 speed semi-auto, not pedal and i believe due to year, not restricted?

I rode it on my road to see how it goes and it was surprisingly good. My problem though is that i don't know how far it can go in each gear, example 1st only goes to 10mph, but it feels like the engine is strangled rather than over revving.

Currently no air filter and baffle glass was solid. I removed the fibreglass and will caustic soda the exhaust, is that the preferred method these days? I'm open to other options!

I can't seem to find the correct air filter on ebay, does anyone know other suppliers?

I'm hoping those two things will make a difference, plug is definitely a bit on the light side, so i can assume that there is too much air getting in at the mo due to lack of filter.

Any info people can give on the bike would be greatly appreciated, the Haynes is a bit limited!

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Best to say a hello in the newbies section. People tend to reply with more help.

If you run a stroker without an air filter for any period of time it will melt something and will increase your woes expediently.

Hi, thanks for the reply, i understand forum etiquette, i shall go have a gander.

I re-fitted the original filter a couple of days ago actually and plan to leave it there until i findthe right type. I can only see foam squares, which i assume people are fitting now as the original isn't available.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have just finished a custom rebuild of on of these and parts are difficult but not impossible to find. I found an air filter on eBay and it came from Vietnam, I think they make pattern parts. I can't seem to post an image of my finished bike but let me know if you want to see it and if you need any info. I have a spare Haynes manual if you need one

• Like 1

I had one of those bought new in 1974 £135 on the road I used it as a ride to work bike It would do 50mph if it was wound up It would try and seize up so I tweaked the oil pump cable so it got more petroil into the engine and it solved the problem. used it for three years and then changed to a scooter but that's another story. Wish you luck with it I had a lot of fun with mine.

Yeh beer space " look under F,A,Q"s , tell you how,,,to post piccys,,, :photo2:

Acid" that's a great trick, pull the oil pump cable and get more petrol :babyha:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, i came back and checked for a little while for replies, but then stopped. I missed a whole conversation!

My little bike is now on the road and being used most days for my ride to work. Generally very happy with it, for a slow, ugly thing. It starts up and runs fine no matter the weather (the same can't be said of my cb125t) and gets me to work in one piece.

I was pretty ok with thr speed, but now seeing the post that it should be about 50 i'm not happy at all! Mine on a windless day will do 40, never any more. Because of this i have stripped and rebuilt a v80 engine so that i can do around the 50 mark which will allow me to get to 30 quicker.

So should i be looking at the carb and points a bit more? Or exhaust? I must confess to not having done the caustic soda on the exhaust in the end as i had no gauge of how it should run and thought 40 seemed about right for a little 4.5hp 50.

The plug has been a fune colour the whole time.

Any help appreciated.

Aye up,

There was indeed a 70. Also an 80 and a 90. The 80 was the last before they went with the T80 which was a shaft drive and 4 stroke.

The v80 engine fits in just dandy though, which is handy! As an aside, it's the same engine that is fitted to the PW80 kids bike, so really quite easy to get spares for compared to the others as there are Chinese copies still being churned out i believe.

I did a bit of research when i decided i wanted a bit more oomph!

• Like 1

Funnily enough, i changed the exhaust to a Fuego one yesterday, pretty basic and cheap so wasn't expecting much, but the chrome on the original was terrible so needed to replace.

It is so much better! I assume because the original is coked up.

The bike before would only get to 20 in second and have a massive lag after you change up to third and then would slowly get up to around 38 if no wind etc.

Now it gets to 28 in second and with a wind this morning it got up to 38 easy. It feels so much better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/29/2014 at 3:58 PM, beerspace said:

Hi, I have just finished a custom rebuild of on of these and parts are difficult but not impossible to find. I found an air filter on eBay and it came from Vietnam, I think they make pattern parts. I can't seem to post an image of my finished bike but let me know if you want to see it and if you need any info. I have a spare Haynes manual if you need one

i would like details on where you got parts from if possible. i struggling to find any.

i have a 76 v50. no spark at the moment but hoping to sort that soon. would like to find some legshields