what bike to get for training CBTs?

Noise
This post is 3490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well here's a question to put on the table for you lovers to sort me out.

In January im starting my new weekend job as a CBT instructor but sadly i cant (and won't) be using Betty as my instructor bike, so what bike would you folks recommend? Its gotta be less than £1000 and be really good at low speed but also look professional.

Im just stumped

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Honda CB500. Bigger than the learner's bikes but not so big that it's intimidating.

Yer i was looking at the cb400 or the 500. Was even tempted by another stock draggy but cant get one for my price range.

I have a ton of patients so no problems there.

ER-5 ? cheap as chips. See quite a few in use as A2 learners in the bike schools around here.

• Like 1

Busa turboed you will get alot of repeat businness,just put a stunt cage on it :spin2: . :biglaugha:

Not may bike's really to think about cb4-5 kawak 5 suzi 500 gs if the didvi fit's the rulles then clean it up paint it up and use it? A drz 400 would make a good bike and prety much built to be droped.

If you want professional then you should go down the HONDA route, not saying anything about other bikes here but Honda's start run and generally give no problems, they are after all boring and old fashioned which most folks seem to think means your competent and level headed, when you get home dump it in the shed and take the YAMAHA out and rag the shit out of it !! :biglaugha:

• Like 1

Well the XJ i goy is my mates old instrctors bike so i could use that but its quite leany overy so doubt my back will hold up on a 2-3hr road ride at 25mph haha.

I do like the gs500 good and cheap but with the rust issues on the exhaust and frame its going to be hard work keeping it looking like a professional bike type of thing.

ER5 could be worth a look into as well as a few hondas. My mate who i will be working for is loaning me either one of his ER6's or his black gs till i can get some money together to get my own instructor bike so ill be sorted for a few months, all i gotta buy now is a radio set and some of them bum bags.

Dude you don't have to go live on the street,Bum bags REALLY? I can send some card board,spam and we could start a collection LOL

Realy the old fj 600's were fab bikes in traffic ,hardley notice the 4cyl under you,and the divi is the same bike mo less,

I wouldn't wright it off just yet as not the best bike for the job. Get it together and ride it you will see how comfee they are. They are a tuff bike and stand up well. The mid 80's fj were the best sport touring bikes and that was prety much befor the term sport touring exisited.

FJ1200 is one hell of an awesome bike... but possibly a touch heavy for the slow-speed stuff, if I'm honest.

I've been to three good instructors at various times for various things (including an ex-Police trainer) and all favoured the 900 Diversion.

Well, if you're going to be on it for hours at a time, why not go for an old Fazer? Comfy, will go all day and give you a bit of weather protection

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408256863631/sort/recpriceascdefault/price-to/1000/cc-to/600cc/model/fz/make/yamaha/usedbikes/radius/1500/page/1/postcode/ox44fy?logcode=p

• Like 1

You're after an instructors bike for CBT training so CC doesn't matter. Look at a Suzuki RF600, they seem reliable and according to a few connections they're comfy. Full fairing will give you protection from the weather, they're quite light good low down grunt as you won't be topping 30mph anyway..

If that's not your cup of tea a ZZR would do the job well too. Other than that a CB 5/600 would also be a good recommendation.

I totally forgot about the fazer Kate, cracking sugestion (not that everyone elses wasn't)

the reason im not wanting a large cc bike iKevin is that yes any bike will do the job but if i have a large bike moving a constant low speed with not much air flow to cool it down in the warmer weather soon enough some thing will eventually go "buggerd up" where as with a smaller cc thus smaller bike it "should" make a bit of a difference

I was sugjesting 600cc tourers with good low end grunt but yeah I forgot about the fazer too.

While were on the subject no one mentioned the Suzuki SV650... Best of all worlds so long as you're not planning on wheeling

SV650

I was sugjesting 600cc tourers with good low end grunt but yeah I forgot about the fazer too.

While were on the subject no one mentioned the Suzuki SV650... Best of all worlds so long as you're not planning on wheeling

???? was so mentioned and if by wheeling you mean doing wheelies they do that too

I use one of the ER-5's as my 'chase' bike, that is until I get the business insurance sorted out on the Divvy, when that'll take over. Other notable machines are the much maligned Honda Dullville - totally bomb-proof engine, watercooled & shaft drive so bimbling along behind 'peds at bugger-all mph won't faze them and you get good weather protection and carrying capacity for spare radios/batteries/toolkit/clutch and brake levers for when your trainees bin it .......

Cardington or down-trained?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online