just passed test and on a A2 licence

martinshaw94
This post is 3510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all just passed my A2 test and i have been doing some researching on a bike that takes my fancy a Yamaha TRX850

Age 19-20 - 47 bhp max: the A2 licence. This is where the rules become slightly complex. From the age of 19, you are permitted to take an A2 test (which must be taken on a bike of at least 395cc, with a power output of between 25kW/33bhp and 35kW/47bhp). If you don't already hold an A1 licence you will need to do a CBT beforehand, as always, and pass a theory test, before you take the practical test.

Upon passing, the rider is restricted to bikes with a limit of 35kW/47bhp and a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 0.2kW/0.26bhp per kg, for two years. The power-to-weight ratio is an important qualification because it makes drawing a distinction between 'can ride' and 'can't ride' more nuanced than a simple bhp cap. In real terms, it imposes a minimum weight of 175kg for any bike using the full 47bhp, dashing hopes of super-lightweight 250s making a mockery of the bhp limit.

It's relatively straightforward to restrict a bike, meaning you are not necessarily ruled out of riding the bike of your dreams - unless you are dreaming of anything 'more than twice' as powerful. Any bike originally making more than 94bhp is still out of reach of the A2 licence.

this extract was taken from visor down and a TRX BHP can be restricted as it only put out 79 BHP but i dont know about the power-to-weight.

if any one can give me more info about if i can ride this bike legally i would appreciate it.

many thanks

martin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Martin, well done on the test ! The TRX850 weighs 190KG so you will be OK once it has been restricted. Didn't fancy an SV650 then

Well done, sorry I can't help you, I passed my test in the 60's, took it on a Honda 50 and could then ride anything.

• Like 1

Well done on getting your A2.

Well done but you're wrong on the age restriction... You're restricted at a2 for 2 years or until the age of 24 which ever is first. The piss take is that if you want to ride unrestricted you'll need to retake both theory and practical tests to have the restriction lifted.

Still Congratulations on passing!